It's 2015... Crossfire vs. Single card?

thatschronick

Reputable
May 26, 2014
So after some research for an Eyefinity setup I've found some very mixed opinions regarding the use of Crossfire or SLI; some of which pertain to heat, micro-stutter, driver issues, and game compatibility. Many of the opinions come from article, forum, and youtube comments or videos but none really state from current experience.

My own personal situation is that I can add another r9 270 to match the performance of a higher-end card and run eyefinity, or upgrade to a single card and not worry about the aforementioned problems.

I could easily upgrade my PSU and buy a refurb/used 270 for much cheaper than the cost of an even second-hand higher-end card however these mixed opinions have me questioning whether or not any of these problems have been fixed and which would be worth it.

Solution
Crossfire and SLI may well become dinosaurs in Windows 10. If DX12 (DirectX v12) is properly implemented, the ability for a game to use any and all video cards that are in the system to render a frame, 2 AMD cards and 2 Nvidia cards could all share processing on each and every frame.

The other thing is that under all previous DX versions, the video processing was done on a single processor. DX12 can use up to 6 processors.

DX12 will be in Windows 10, which is due to be released July 29th.
Crossfire and SLI may well become dinosaurs in Windows 10. If DX12 (DirectX v12) is properly implemented, the ability for a game to use any and all video cards that are in the system to render a frame, 2 AMD cards and 2 Nvidia cards could all share processing on each and every frame.

The other thing is that under all previous DX versions, the video processing was done on a single processor. DX12 can use up to 6 processors.

DX12 will be in Windows 10, which is due to be released July 29th.

Solution

Jak_Sparra

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
1 good single card every 2 years is a good plan. Crossfire for me with 2 x HD5870s was a bad year. In the end I removed one card to fix the micro-stutter and weird glitches and some games not working etc. Keep saving money and wait until the R9 390s are released to make a more informed decision.

thatschronick

Reputable
May 26, 2014
With the 300 series prices already announced and me not being nearly enough of an enthusiast to drop that amount of money on a single component, it seems the best I can hope for is proper DX12 card utilization in Win10?