R9 290 Poor Performance

MatttyyyXD

Reputable
Jun 12, 2015
Before I start, here is my system spec:

Windows 8.1 64bit
AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0GHz
Asus R9 290 DirectCU II (1GHz core clock)
16GB DDR3 RAM
Corsair CX600M 600watt PSU (I know the card recommends a 750watt+ PSU, but it seems that others with this PSU have no issues running a similar set up.)

The issue I have specifically is with GTA 5. Although others seem to be able to run this game on ultra at well over 60fps with the same hardware as me, I assumed that maybe I was asking too much of the card, so I decided to put all the settings down to normal, but even after doing that, I still see the frame rate drop to around 40. I will be getting 60fps, then I'll drive around a corner and it will jump down to 45-50, or sometimes even lower.

So, after lowering all the settings in-game right down, it made believe there may be a problem.

I have tried the following things to fix this:
- Reinstalled the drivers, using DDU and CCleaner to completely remove the old ones.
- Tried the latest beta driver (15.5).
- Completely reinstalled Windows 8.1.
- Disabled various services in windows, and changed the game's priority to high & real time.

I am in the process of installing Dying Light, so after that's completed I shall add to this post with the results. I'm hoping it might just be GTA 5 that doesn't like me, but I'm guessing Dying Light may well suffer, too.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

UPDATE: I've finished installing Dying Light, and I'm able to play it on the maximum settings at 60fps fluently, and if I disable Vsync, it even tops out at 120fps, but the screen tearing is unbearable. xD So, this makes me believe it's something wrong with the way GTA is configured?