i5 -4440 processor coupled with asrock h91m plus or h97 pro 4 (gaming purpose)

g1abhi

Expert
Ambassador
Jun 13, 2015
I am building a system for gaming purposes and going for an i5 4440 processor and corsair venegeance 8gb single stick.
My motherboard options are asrock h91m plus and asrock h97m pro 4. the h91 is available for half the cost of h97 variant.
By reading online builds, usually it is suggested to go with an h97 based motherboard , but i do not have any requirements for the extra sata or usb 3.0 ports , neither i will use sli ever . the 7.1 ch sound isnt needed either but i do need a 5.1 ch sound ,which is supported in h91 . I also plan to buy a gfx , gtx 960 or radeon r9 280x . So can someone please tell, is it ok to compromise on the motherboard part since i am on a tight budget and trying to maximize investment on gfx card.
will it affect the performance or more realistically impact my fps in games.? I plan to play dota 2, nfs , gta v and some shooter games .

note: I dont need the scope of upgrade , cuz when the time comes i will upgrade entire system. 6th gen intel will need newer motherboard anyways (1151 pins).

Solution

yeskay

Distinguished

The R9 280X is better than GTX 960. The processor and more importantly graphics card dictate the FPS. Motherboards playing a role in FPS boost is highly negligible or zero. You can confidently go with ASRock H91M-PLUS.

Cheers!

Solution