770 4GB SC SLI vs 980 Ti?

condraj2

Honorable
Sep 7, 2013
Hey guys,

So I'm on the verge of upgrading from 1080p to 1440p once the new Asus PB279Q monitor comes out in a few months and have been trying to figure out if I'll also need a graphics card upgrade to go along with it. I'm a huge fan of 60+ FPS and prefer to max out most settings, but will downgrade a bit as necessary to keep a fluid frame rate. I currently have an EVGA GTX 770 4GB SC (this guy: http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Superclocked-Dual-Link-Graphics-04G-P4-3774-KR/dp/B00E5AEIKE).

My dilemma is this: assuming I need an upgrade after getting the new display to keep up with 1440p, do I get another one of the 770s and run SLI (which I've never done, but my power supply is 750W and should be adequate for this card), or do I pick up one of the new 980 Ti cards?

The former option is obviously the cheaper route, as (probably close to a $500 price difference), but I'm primarily concerned about performance and, related, future proofing. Money isn't much of an issue here, but obviously spending less is always nice.

I should also say that I'll probably run one of my current 1080p displays alongside the 1440p main display.. which would probably be used for web browsing and watching movies/streams, etc. while gaming on the main monitor. I'm not sure how much of an impact this would have, but thought I should mention it.

I did a bit of Google-fu and found some other comparisons between a 770s in SLI and the regular 980, but probably because the Ti is so new, there doesn't seem to be much out there, so I appreciate any insights and wisdom you all may have! Thanks in advance!

condraj2

Honorable
Sep 7, 2013

I should have mentioned that I was also waiting for the AMD announcement to pull the trigger, thanks for that. Do you think it's worth also holding off on the new GPU purchase for a bit to see if Nvidia drops a reasonably priced and powerful card with HBM, or is the 980 Ti the way to go?

bignastyid

Titan

Where are you getting 2,5Gb from? Gta V uses about 3.5Gb at 1080p and my 4Gb 770s run it just fine. Shadows of Mordor will use all 4Gb and it runs just fine aswell.

Deuce65

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
Well obviously the 980ti will be the better option if money is truly not an option. On the other hand, the 980ti minus selling 770 will probably be like 2.5 to 3 times the price of just getting a second 770, and the difference will probably be on the small side.
The other thing to think of is, wasn't this the whole point of getting the 4gb version? So you could sli it later?