New 970 GTX 4K Gaming build, tips for optimizing performance

NeuroFryk

Reputable
Jun 15, 2015
This is my first SLI setup, unfortunately store was out of stock of ASUS (which I had already purchased the first one) - so reluctantly went with GigaByte brand for 2nd one at Fry's electronics.

Asus = 1114 / 1253mhz boost
Giga = 1127 / 1216mhz boost

System specs:
Mobo = ASUS p8Z77-V 1155
CPU = Ivy Bridge i7-3770k , cooler = Hyper 212
RAM = 2x 8gb G.Skill Ripjaws X Series DDR3-1600
PSU = Corsair AX1200i (1200 watt, platinum)
Case = Thermaltake Core V71
HDD = 1x AMD Radeon r7 240gb SSD, 1x 2tb WD black, 5x 3tb WD green
Soundcard = (was) Asus Essence ST (Paired with Beyer 990 pro) which will no longer fit on MOBO due to the GPUs hogging all the room. Sad about that one.
Monitor = Samsung U28D590 4k 60hz TNT display, secondary display Alienware Optx 120hz AW2310 1080p
Razer Blackwidow KB, Deathadder Mouse

I'm very skittish about overclocking new high end GPUs on stock air, having had cards burn up on me in past but wondering if it'd be worth tweaking them so at least the two different brands will match speed and not just downclock to slowest. It's taken me several years to build this setup piece by piece, which is somewhat of a dream machine for me -- so I'd obviously like to get my setup running as optimal as possible. If anyone has any tips for tweaks that would improve things or upgrades that would be worth it, would love to hear. Thanks.

Coonah

Reputable
Mar 20, 2014
It'll be fine, SLI will automatically clock down to the same as the slowest card, but because these cards are beasts, it'll be a smoking setup for 4K.

One of those cards handles 4k pretty well.....

A very mild overclock to bump up the first card will be fine too would be fine too, but I doubt you would notice any performance gain... worth a try though. People have been getting some pretty wild overclocks on those cards.... saw some guy getting 225mhz !!!! So you could probably bump them up to 1150/1200 and have everything running smooth and cool with no worries... just remember that overclocking voids your warranty so much better to run them stock if they are giving you the performance you want.

Awesome rig man.... and woah... that's a heap of storage .... lol!