Is 650 watt power supply suitable for the r9 290x 8gb card?

G

Hi, I have looked around the entire forum, and I have seen many posts regarding power supply's, and GPU compatibility, but none that really fit my system. I am looking to upgrade my aging nvidia 560 ti with no overclock, because I would like to play some newer games on ultra. The card I am looking to purchase is linked http:// My question is if my current system will be able to handle the card, no bottlenecks, and if I have power for the card. My system specs are;

[strike]OS: Windows 7 64x
HDD: 1 TB barracuda 7,200rpm drive
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM
CPU: i7-3770k (I may overclock this in the future, but if I don't have enough power I won't)
Mobo: Gigabyte ud5h z77x board
PSU: Corsair TX650 v2
GPU: Geforce 560 ti (I will be removing this after the install of the new card) [/strike]

Thanks a million guys, really confused about this topic, also if you have any suggestions for a GPU that would be able to play games like The Evil Within, or Battlefield 5 on ultra, I would greatly appreciate it.

***UPDATE***

Here is a more detailed specifications list for my PC.

CPU: Intel i7-3770k
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB, Hitachi 1TB (Both at 7,200RPM);
GPU: EVGA GeForce 560 ti (Will be removed with install of new card)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 16GB 1600MHz
Keyboard: Apple Wired NumPad Keyboard; Nostromo Gamepad
Case: Corsair 400R
PSU: Corsair TX650 v2
Fans: Corsair 120mm Fan
Monitor: Lenovo VGA Monitor

Mohd Mamat

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013
You better fare off with the GTX 970 though. I had that choice between a 290x and a 970,picked the 970 and havent regretted since.
It can wok well on my crappy 550W PSU though. 8GB is only necessary if you use alot of textures and running on 1440P or more.
It even sips less power than the 290X.

RAZER Gamer

Reputable
May 27, 2015
Yes 650W will work but I would buy a 750W for room to upgrade in the future and also for safety. I always recommend getting 100W over what you need so if you want to you can add an extra component or replace a component and not have to replace your PSU. Also Corsair is a great company for PSU's but their RM series are a lot better than their CX and TX series.

By the way you can get a Gold Corsair PSU for only about £10 more:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CP-9020055-UK-RM750-Modular-Supply/dp/B00FG9FTDI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1434560209&sr=8-3&keywords=Corsair+PSU

G

My fear is that I will then have to upgrade my GPU in another year or so, it seems that some games are already demanding 4gb of vram for ultra settings. Also, didn't the nvidia have some sort of discrepancy where there was only 3.5gb of vram on the card? Does your card have the whole 4gb?

all 970's have 4gb - it was a non-issue that was blown out of all proportion

G

Thanks for the recommendation, definitely a plus that the PSU is a modular supply, I will definitely look into it!

G

Alright thanks, wasn't sure about that.

Mohd Mamat

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013

The stutters in game that some people mention?
Meh, didnt really affect gameplay that much, 3.5 gb or not, its still powerful at a great price point