Solved

Help me build a very compact gaming pc for around 500-600 £

I am travelling quite often and I've come to the point that I've realized that I use my laptop mostly as a desktop pc so I want to build a more powerful and easily transportable(by airplane) desktop. The case that I have found is not on pcpartpicker so here's a separate link: http://www.coolermaster.com/case/mini-itx/mini110/
Now, I am not sure if I can even fit these components inside that small HTPC case. What do you think? Thanks in advance.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor (£154.98 @ Novatech)
CPU Cooler: Arctic Cooling Alpine 11 Pro Rev. 2 36.7 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler (£6.62 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Asus H81I-PLUS Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard (£49.99 @ Novatech)
Memory: *Kingston Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£39.78 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Sandisk Solid State Drive 64GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£29.26 @ CCL Computers)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£41.60 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card (£148.00 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: Silverstone 500W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply (£67.80 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £538.03
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-20 14:52 BST+0100

EDIT: I might not need a cpu cooler at all and roll with the stock to save size
13 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about build compact gaming 500 600
  1. no it wont fit, there is no place to put GPU
  2. Everything seems fine, but the motherboard is pretty bad. H81 socket will need a BIOS update most probably with that CPU (which means, you will need to put a non Haswell refresh CPU and do the update) I'm not sure everything will fit into that CM case, but I chose you one that is cheap and has good airflow.

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor (£154.98 @ Novatech)
    CPU Cooler: Arctic Cooling Alpine 11 Pro Rev. 2 36.7 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler (£6.62 @ Amazon UK)
    Motherboard: ASRock H97M-ITX/AC Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard (£80.64 @ More Computers)
    Memory: *Kingston Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£39.78 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Sandisk Solid State Drive 64GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£29.26 @ CCL Computers)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£41.60 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card (£148.00 @ Aria PC)
    Case: Thermaltake Core V1 Mini ITX Tower Case (£34.78 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Power Supply: Silverstone 500W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply (£67.80 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Total: £603.46
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    *Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-20 16:26 BST+0100
  3. razerg said:
    Everything seems fine, but the motherboard is pretty bad. H81 socket will need a BIOS update most probably with that CPU (which means, you will need to put a non Haswell refresh CPU and do the update) I'm not sure everything will fit into that CM case, but I chose you one that is cheap and has good airflow.

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor (£154.98 @ Novatech)
    CPU Cooler: Arctic Cooling Alpine 11 Pro Rev. 2 36.7 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler (£6.62 @ Amazon UK)
    Motherboard: ASRock H97M-ITX/AC Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard (£80.64 @ More Computers)
    Memory: *Kingston Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£39.78 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Sandisk Solid State Drive 64GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£29.26 @ CCL Computers)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£41.60 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card (£148.00 @ Aria PC)
    Case: Thermaltake Core V1 Mini ITX Tower Case (£34.78 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Power Supply: Silverstone 500W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply (£67.80 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Total: £603.46
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    *Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-20 16:26 BST+0100


    I agree that i could change the motherboard but I am actually looking for a slim case, something resembling an xbox or the Alienware x51. If you could recommend something which is closer to the x51 and also fit the parts that would be great.
  4. Best answer
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor (£154.98 @ Novatech)
    Motherboard: Asus H81I-PLUS Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard (£49.99 @ Novatech)
    Memory: *Kingston Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£39.78 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Sandisk Solid State Drive 64GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£29.26 @ CCL Computers)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£39.60 @ CCL Computers)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card (£148.00 @ Aria PC)
    Case: Silverstone RVZ01B Mini ITX Desktop Case (£71.08 @ CCL Computers)
    Power Supply: Silverstone 500W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply (£67.80 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Total: £600.49
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    *Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-20 18:14 BST+0100
  5. What about this case? http://store.antec.com/value-solution/vsk2300.html#
    It is a bit more compact than the silverstone but looks big enough.
    It also comes with a 300w supply as well so i could exclude that from the shopping list for the time being until a future upgrade is necessary
  6. 300w is not enough for GTX 960.

    you would also need half bracket (low profile) GPU. there is no low profile GTX 960 or any gaming GPU
    you would also need TFX size PSU to replace 300w and TFX PSU are very expensive

    and its not that smaller than Silverstone one
  7. Is the 960 that power hungry? According to pcpartpicker my whole configuration is 278W maximum. The 960 itself is 120W. Am I missing something? Also if i were to go with the silverstone case do I purchase any further cooling or stick with the stock?
  8. GTX 960 needs 20 amps on 12v rail. which some 300w PSU supply but because this one is TFX and comes with the case i dont think it supply enough amps on 12v rail. I cant find anything about which PSU comes with the case. and its not a good idea to run PSU on 100% load all the time it will die quicker so something around 400w is fine for GTX 960

    stock cooling should be fine. But if it wont be neough you just buy better cooling.
  9. pe6o32 said:
    Is the 960 that power hungry? According to pcpartpicker my whole configuration is 278W maximum. The 960 itself is 120W. Am I missing something? Also if i were to go with the silverstone case do I purchase any further cooling or stick with the stock?

    I personally don't think the NVIDIA GTX 960 is that power hungry at all, although I would personally go with an XFX 650W power supply or a Seasonic 620W power supply to be safe.
  10. 600w is way too much for single GTX 960 you can run GTX 960 SLI on good 600w PSU
  11. What if he couldn't find smaller amount of watts on a SFX power supply? Or if he did, the 500w one was a better deal?
  12. razerg said:
    What if he couldn't find smaller amount of watts on a SFX power supply? Or if he did, the 500w one was a better deal?


    Are you talking to me ? I didnt say that OP should get PSU with less then 500w, because i know that the one he picked is the best choice on UK Pcpartpicker.

    i just responded to @sora because he recommended him PSU with even more watttage and that doesnt make sense
  13. Oh, okay. Cheers :)
Ask a new question

Read More

htpc desktop budget pc compact pc Gaming PCs