1333 mhz in task manager, 1866 in CPU-Z and MSI Command Center

mrcommunism

Reputable
Jun 20, 2015
Hello all,

I have bought a mobo MSI Z97-G43 and a Hyper X Fury (white) RAM kit (2 sticks, x4GB each, 1866 Mhz), which is compatible with mentioned mobo (accordingly to their list).
After installing it, in the task manager it shows that the RAM is running at 1333Mhz. However, in the CPU-Z and MSI Command Center it shows, that the frequency is 1866.

I have been looking all over the internet, if it's related to the xmp profile and in almost all the cases, a solution was to enable it. In my case, there are no available options in the BIOS, which could allow me to enable it. Neither I have an option to change DRAM voltage (Advanced configuration mode is enabled).

Also, I have another RAM stick, which is HyperX black, with 1.6GHz and for this one an emp profile appears in the BIOS and in the windows it's frequency is displayed correctly.

So, the question is: what is going on? What is the real frequency my RAM is working at and why I don't see the options, that are supposed to be available in BIOS? Is it a mobo problem? Or is it a memory incompatibility?

P.S.: bios and all the drivers are updated, did it today at the morning. CPU: i5-4670k

P.P.S.: previously i had the kit of Hyper X Fury (black), which is identical to the white one, but I have managed to exchange it, saying it could be not compatible with my mobo, since it's not in the mobo's compatible rams list. But seems like it's not the RAM problem at all.

Solution
Task manager tends to show the mobos default boot data rate of 1333, CPU-Z (in the memory tab will show what the DRAM is actually running at. The Fury are based on PnP rather than XMP, and set themselves up automatically. If you had the Hyper X Black Fury it should have been fine also unless there was a bad stick, if it was simply Hyper X Black (not Fury) it would be XMP based and have to be set up through XMP

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Task manager tends to show the mobos default boot data rate of 1333, CPU-Z (in the memory tab will show what the DRAM is actually running at. The Fury are based on PnP rather than XMP, and set themselves up automatically. If you had the Hyper X Black Fury it should have been fine also unless there was a bad stick, if it was simply Hyper X Black (not Fury) it would be XMP based and have to be set up through XMP

Solution

mrcommunism

Reputable
Jun 20, 2015

Oh, that explains a lot..
Then, I would like to make just 1 more question - if I insert this kit (hyperx fury) in the same channel, and a single stick (hyperx black) into the one of the remaining slots (another channel), what gonna happen? Will it create a conflict for the dual channel or will it degrade a performance drastically?

mrcommunism

Reputable
Jun 20, 2015

I have installed all the the sticks and it seems to work just fine. CPU-Z identifies ram as a dual channel and the ram frequency is 1600 MHz. I was already expecting that since the hyperx black frequency is 1600. Also, it looks like I have got a little performance boost :)

Thank you very much for your time ;)