960 performance dropped dramatically after a week of owning?

ScaryXam

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2014
HI!

My name is Max, and I have a problem that I see no others having.

I recently bought MSI GTX 960 4gb after a year of deciding, I was very happy with it, till i noticed the performance dropped after a week of use. Now, I know this sounds weird, but it happened! I mostly play Rust, CS:GO and Arma 3, and they ran perfect with my 900p. now all of a sudden they play on the exact same frames as my friends 750ti?! Like cs:go will be at 180 fps then it'll spike to 50, never used to do that... bf4 goes down to 46fps with Ultra/high/medium settings. rust performed worse then the first time I tested it (90 fps on beautiful down to 44, exactly what my friends 750ti gets on fantastic)

I'm having so much trouble finding out why this is... I know it might not be my graphics card, but I find it odd that it happened during the early periods of having it. Would love advise on what to do! Even some ideas on whats happening. worse comes to worse, I'll see if its replaceable.

Thanks for your time, reader!

ScaryXam

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2014
Thanks for the advice! It's currently late and I'm tired. I'll be sure to test this in the morning, It'll take time to download 3dmark with my current internet so I'll slowly keep you updated :)

rapidflyhigh

Honorable
Mar 24, 2015

ur graphics card is fine reinstall your drivers to the latest one and don't' install beta drivers
http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/85817/en-us
and while you installing the drivers select the case make a new installation(or something like that i dont know how nvidia call a new installation).
and restart your pc .

ScaryXam

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2014

ScaryXam

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2014
I did as you said bro... Couldn't find the new installation thing sadly, but I wiped all the drivers and re-installed. 750ti is still better... I'm getting really mad. The company I bought it from gave me a email with steps on sending it back to get it looked at and replaced. So I'm stuck on what to do now.

ScaryXam

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2014

ScaryXam

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2014
Let me shead more light. The card worked fine (I probaly said so) for a few days. solid fps 90+ and all that, now its gone to shit.
I've changed all settings diffrentaly and the frames don't seem to rise much... I'm pretty sure my i5-3470 is bottlenecking it. I have a 550w power surply, which is perfectly fine for the card. I'm to stuck. Friends are saying to replace the card and see if that works, so yea... still not sure :D I'm very worried cause I spent a great deal of money (400) on this card.