Solved

AMD cpu how long does oem thermal paste last

Dell inspiron 570 , AMD 240 cpu . Been having problems with sporadic shut downs and reboot problems . Cleaned out computer with air pressure from vacuum cleaner . Took cpu heat sink and fan off to clean it . Noticed the thermal paste had the feel of dried clay . Is that normal ?
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about amd cpu long oem thermal paste
  1. Best answer
    No, that is not normal. Dried up thermal compound will not be very effective. Carefully clean off all traces of old (dried up) thermal compound and re-apply using Arctic Silver 5 or better. Please follow application guidelines on Arctic Silver's website.

    Normally, OEM thermal compound should last at least 5 years depending on the environment.
  2. More info , PC has over 4,600 hours on it with 2,600 start cycles . Bought in Jan. 2011. AMD II x 2 240 cpu . I checked voltages on the psu and they are within specs, but I have no way of checking the actual power output . Many shutdowns , reboots etc. Even when I go into bios or safe mode . Any help much appreciated !!
  3. Check the PSU voltages while the computer is under some load. HWInfo.
  4. Ubrales said:
    Check the PSU voltages while the computer is under some load. HWInfo.


    Thank you for the advice ! I will buy the paste when the store opens tmw morning . I was able to check voltages by removing the cpu and jumping the green and black wire , not much load but the fan . Checked normal . Then I checked with psu installed and turned on by probing the back of the P4 and motherboard connectors . Both gave me good voltages . Could the bad paste be the reason why the shutdowns etc. happen? Does this model cpu have throttle down protection ? Thanks Again !
  5. Excuse me for not checking before posting .. I meant the PSU not the cpu that I checked voltages on . Is HWinfo. a software program , if so is it a safe , free download ?
  6. wall58 said:
    Excuse me for not checking before posting .. I meant the PSU not the cpu that I checked voltages on . Is HWinfo. a software program , if so is it a safe , free download ?


    HWInfo is safe, free, and I use it.

    To clean off the old thermal compound, use 70% Isopropyl alcohol ($ 2 for 12 ounces at Walmart), or you may use alcohol swabs available at most pharmacies. Use very little - do not flood the socket or other components.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SST61g3hnIs

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9MJUuU58vE
  7. Ubrales said:
    wall58 said:
    Excuse me for not checking before posting .. I meant the PSU not the cpu that I checked voltages on . Is HWinfo. a software program , if so is it a safe , free download ?


    HWInfo is safe, free, and I use it.

    To clean off the old thermal compound, use 70% Isopropyl alcohol ($ 2 for 12 ounces at Walmart), or you may use alcohol swabs available at most pharmacies. Use very little - do not flood the socket or other components.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SST61g3hnIs

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9MJUuU58vE


    Thanks again Ubrales , I will heed your advice asap ! wall58
  8. You are welcome - I'll be here.
Ask a new question

Read More

Thermal Compound CPUs AMD