780 ti with GTX 970 for 3d rendering and gaming question.

Chuckybear25

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2014
Hi, I know a lot of gamers are against mixing cards and I understand the reason is for running SLI. but the software I'm about to purchase(octane render) runs off CUDA cores. Im planning on buying a used 780 ti to go along with my GTX 970, and yes, Octane can and will take advantage of both cards.

Really what I don't want is to have the used 780 ti running, unless I'm working in Octane, I rather have the 970 doing all the work for basic tasks or gaming.

My question is if I mix these cards and start up a game which card will be used for gaming? Will it just select the one that's in the first port? or will I run into problems for having 2 different cards? will both cards be used, say for instance if im working in Photoshop or After Effects?

My last question...My PSU is a corsair 750 is it enough to power both cards along with 16gb of Ram and an I7 2600k.

Sorry if this is a stupid question and thanks in advance, it just seems that a lot of people online have different answers for different applications.

Solution
Both cards will always run at the same time (which you are aware of) but only the card in the primary slot will be the one used for gaming, the other could be set up as a PhysX card if you wanted to but it's not compulsory.