i5-4590 + mid-grade GPU PSU requirement (430w enough ?)

cold0904

Reputable
Jun 14, 2015
Hi
My current build is based on i5-4590, 1 SSD, 1 HDD, and probably a 2nd hand GPU (like GTX 550 Ti), which i may later upgrade to GTX 960

Basically if i limit myself to GPU that has a TDP of 120w and below (thus probably max draw less than 150w), and knowing that i5-4590 won't draw more than 100w at max, i was thinking whether a corsair CX430M would be sufficient for this build ?

Also, usually i tend to use a computer for a very long time (i.e. once i upgrade, i pass it on to the living room as a 2nd computer, and so on), so reliabilty of the PSU is key

Should i aim for something slightly higher in grade (such as gold rating) as well as in wattage (more like 500/550 watts ?)

Don't get that PSU if reliability is key.

I suggest something more like THIS: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1550sxxb9

FYI, the "GOLD" rating is not an indication of quality only efficiency. Any 80-plus rating is fine. The WATTAGE is a different story because less load can be higher lifespan, plus more flexibility if a more powerful card is desired. Like you say a GTX960 is being considered.

*Also many of the models have a REBATE attached so you pay full price and have the hassle of redeeming the rebate (which may be a VISA card you have to spend in a certain time period).

cold0904

Reputable
Jun 14, 2015
Thx for the reply, based on my initial research, it appeared compared to the original CX430 (which used quite poor name capacitors), the current CX430M is using mid-grade capacitors, plus i'm thinking most of the time i will be using 20% of the PSU's capacity, while at fully loaded level (e.g. playing games), i may be drawing 200-250 watts max, which is maybe 50-60% of this PSU's capex. Would it be better to go for a 500 or 550 wattage which would allow my max draw to be under 50% of the PSU capex ?

My view is that its unlikely i would ever use a GPU wattage higher than GTX960, as the GPU are moving towards lower consumption / performance, and i won't aim for the highest end as i'm not too much into gaming.

cold0904

Reputable
Jun 14, 2015
Rosewill is not avaliable where i live (HK). i did some further research, and found that CX430M is a tier 3, i.e. adequate for light use (epsecially if not using GPU that require PCI-E connector), i could for example stick to GTX750

For tier 2, it looks like the expense goes up considerably (i found a few that sells in HK, Seasonic G550, M12ii and Antec HCG-520M... they are a bit more expensive, and i was wondering whether CX430M is really an issue in terms of long term reliability if i stick to GPU that are not requiring high power draw (e.g. like GTX750)