FX 8350 overclock with a asus m5a97 r2.0

Adrian-George Rusu

Reputable
Jun 23, 2015
So i decided to overlock my fx 8350, after playing with the voltages i managed to get it stable at 4.5ghz @1.42v. I'm still running prime95, 45mins passed and everything seems okay except one thing. I'm using the HWmonitor to monitor my temperatures and i have 2 cpu readings temperatures. One of em is called CPU and it went up to 73degrees, it's still at 73degrees right now and the other one is one the package, that one is at 51degrees. Wich of those should i trust ? I mean 73degrees sound abit to much, from my experience the maximum temperature of a fx 8350 should be like 60degress, even the Asus Sensor Recorder from AISuite is warning me that my cpu went hot. Also i know that Package is core temperatures and the CPU is the socket but still ? Wich of em should i trust? Also the temperatures are okay? i'm abit worred.

Solution
All chips are different.
My 8320 is at 4.3ghz 1.332v & rarely gets above 60c.
I pushed 4.8ghz on it with the same voltage as you're running but temps skyrocketed.
I would consider dropping down to whatever you can get stable below 1.4v personally ,past 4.3ghz you won't see much performance increase anyway.

BSOD BSTD

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013
Yeah you don't want to stay above 64c for too long on that CPU. Its a good idea to stay below 70c during stress tests, but bear in mind that no game is going to stress your CPU as much as Prime95 does! Are you using the stock cooler? you should always use an aftermarket cooler if you're oc'ing a CPU.

Adrian-George Rusu

Reputable
Jun 23, 2015
I have a Cooler Master Seidon v2, i even replaced the stock fan from the cm seidon with 2x Corsair Air Series Green Led High Static Pressure 120mm fans. I ended up the prime95 test after 1 hour or so and it was stable , it didn't exceed 73degrees on the CPU and the same for Package temperature wich never exceeded 51degrees. Now i'm playing some witcher 3 and it seems okay. The CPU reached 62degrees max and the core package never exceeded 45degrees. Isn't the socket maximum temperature 80degrees and the cpu itself(cores/package temperature) 60degrees? It looks pretty good for me but the prime95 results after 1 hour or so scared me a bit. I'm playing witcher 3 with everything maxed out so the game is quite demanding. I guess i'm fine, right?

EDIT: I also did a 3dmark firestrike test and it looks good overall. I went up from the score of 8834 to 9257. I'm currently using windows 10 for testing purposes and yeah, dx12 is not working properly , it's just a minimal difference beetwen dx11 and dx12 now so yeah, hope dx12 will get better on the final release. Here's my 3DMark Firestrike score with this overclock : http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/7470765

Adrian-George Rusu

Reputable
Jun 23, 2015
Yeah, i tried to do that. That was the first thing i tried to do when i saw the temperature in hwmonitor, lowering the voltage down will result in a stability failure. I was running it at 1.4v and after like 15 mins of prime95 it was not stable anymore. I have the chip since it was released. I saw people overclocking it with lower voltages, i think i just got a bad chip at overclocking or my motherboard is limiting it. I'm thinking replacing my CPU and motherboard, i guess i'll wait for Intel Skylake generation. As long as this chip is not gonna "explode" in games i guess i'm fine, the temeratures looks okay in games so i guess it'll serve me well till i'll put my hands on one of the skylake's cpus.

BSOD BSTD

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013

have you disabled cool and quiet in the BIOS? and theres a CPU boost thing that you should disable as well. You might be able to knock the voltage down a touch if you disable these.

Adrian-George Rusu

Reputable
Jun 23, 2015

Yeah, cool and quiet is disabled and amd turbo technology aswell.

All chips are different.
My 8320 is at 4.3ghz 1.332v & rarely gets above 60c.
I pushed 4.8ghz on it with the same voltage as you're running but temps skyrocketed.
I would consider dropping down to whatever you can get stable below 1.4v personally ,past 4.3ghz you won't see much performance increase anyway.

Solution

BSOD BSTD

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013

prob need better case ventilation then. try opening the case and playing witcher and see if this drops the max temp (dont forget to reset hw monitor before you do this and let things cool down first)

Adrian-George Rusu

Reputable
Jun 23, 2015

Can you give me a screenshot of your temperatures using hwmonitor ? I'm really curious to see the difference beetwen your cpu temperature and mine for both socket and core temps. My cpu starts getting hot after 5 mins of prime95 but it never exceeded 73 degrees on cpu and 51degrees on package temperature. (The chips are almost identical except the base frequency).

Adrian-George Rusu

Reputable
Jun 23, 2015

The case has a pretty good ventilation. I have a Thermaltake versa H21 with 2x Corsair Static Pressure fans in the front(the same model i have on my cooler master's radiator that is in the back of the case. I'm gonna open the case and play some games and i'll come back.

Adrian-George Rusu

Reputable
Jun 23, 2015
I'm not an idiot, ofc i did. I actually replaced my thermal paste like 1 week ago. Since i bought this cpu i never overclocked it because i noticed it was running quite hot, i was not in need of an overclock back in that day tho, the cpu was quite good. Years passed and the cpu served me well. I just want to get more power from it now before i'm gonna replace it. I'm Currently using a Sirtec High Power Element Smart 750W Bronze, the PSU is old aswell but it seems its still serves me good.

My computer components:
CPU: FX 8350
Motherboard: Asus m5a97 r2.0
GPU: Gainward GTX 970
Storage: 2x HyperX Fury 120gb and a Seagate Barracuda 1tb
PSU: Sirtec High Power Element Smart 750W Bronze
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon v2 with 2x Corsair Air Series Green Led High Static Pressure 120mm fans
Case : Thermaltake Versa H21
Fans: 2x Corsair Air Series Green Led High Static Pressure 120mm on the front and the Cooler master seidon with the same fans on the back.

Gonna try it out now with the case opened.

Adrian-George Rusu

Reputable
Jun 23, 2015
Ok opening the case didn't do anything, it was like 1degree improvement. I went back in bios and disabled spread spectrum, a friend told me to do that since he had a similar problem with one of his builds in the past. I did that then i run some games : witcher 3 , the run , gta v and even world of warcraft cause it was supposed to be cpu intensive. I made a screenshot after testing those games so here the temperatures are(look at the maximum temperature), atleast it's an improvement:
tIaaPN7.jpg

Shall i stick with this overclock or to lower my frequency? Note that i plan to change my cpu/mobo/ram when skylake comes out so i'm probably gonna use this for like 1 more year.

The temps on mine using hwmonitor are 55c & 63c after 30 minute prime.

Is there any reason you're bus overclocking rather than using the multiplier ??

If its stable fine but I prefer multiplier for the main overclock & fsb for a bit of tweaking .

Really you ought to do a prime blend run with amd overdrive onscreen & check the thermal margin.

I don't personally use hwmonitor as I find it terribly unreliable.

Adrian-George Rusu

Reputable
Jun 23, 2015

Oh yeah that was an another idea of my friend. He told me to disable spread spectrum and overclock with the bus and see what happens. The temperatures are lower tho so it's all good. I'm gonna try to clean up my pc and see what happens, probably tommorow. Doubt that is the problem tho because my pc is on my desk and i don't really have dust in my room but whatever, last time i cleaned my pc was like 3 months ago. Thanks for the help guys, i want to give the green solution button to everyone but i can't do that :) Also @madmatt30 , i guess 55c is the package core and 63c is the Cpu socket right ? If it's like that then we have the same package core temperature, more or less. Dunno what's wrong with the cpu socket temperature tho. But yeah. Thanks for the Help tho. I'm gonna use AMD overdrive too from now on.

Adrian-George Rusu

Reputable
Jun 23, 2015
Ok i decided to do something else instead of using prime95. I did a research and i discovered a lot of people are having problems with prime95 and their fx 8350. So i decided to overclock my 8350 with the multiplier again and i set the voltage to 1.39v. Instead of prime95 i'm using aida64 now. Everything seems ok till now, the temperatures are also lower. Gonna run this test for a couple of hours, seems like my temeratures at stuck at 65c on the CPU socket and 50 on the package temperature.
1ZrJ5oK.png
. The weird thing now, i see my voltages lower than what i set on bios. I'll see how it goes, it's an improvement tho. I also cleaned my cooler master radiator, some dust went there, it was not that much tho, dunno if that actually made a difference. When i put my hand onto the back on the computer, near the radiator fans i don't feel hot air so i think the actual cpu is fine and the cpu temperature is inacurate , i think the package core is the thing i should actually look and be aware of.

Adrian-George Rusu

Reputable
Jun 23, 2015
For how much do i need to run this aida64 stress test ? Seems like is rock steady at 65c on the socket and 50c package. The only weird thing now is the voltage that is definitely wrong since i put 1.39v on the bios.

Adrian-George Rusu

Reputable
Jun 23, 2015
Aparently the motherboard is not that good overclock-wise or i got a bad chip, i lowered my frequency to 4.4ghz with 1.36v and i don't have problems with heat at all now. 57c on the socket and 48c package temperature(core's), i used prime95 again for 1 hour or so and everything looks much better now. It's sad that i need to jump to 1.39v so i can get it stable at 4.5 , that's retarded. I guess i'm not gonna see a difference beetwen 4.4 and 4.5 anyway so it's all good in the end. Thanks again madmatt30.

I had exactly the same scenario mate .
Absolutely rock solid at 4.3ghz 1.332v.
Anything above required a minimum 1.38v & pushed nearly another 10c on CPU temps.

You could try pushing the fsb to 205 with multiplier at 22 which may give you your 4.5ghz back on the same voltage.