fx 8320 and gtx evga 970 ftw below expectations on csgo

nefoundland

Reputable
Jun 24, 2015
I have just upgraded from a gtx 750 ti sc from evga to a 970 ftw and I am getting around the same fps my cpu is currently at 4 ghz (all I did was turn off power save settings and change muliplier to 20). Before I was getting around 130-150 fps every thing max including AA. and now I get around 180 and sometimes it dips to 90 or 120. I have seen videos showing 300 fps + with the 970 and I was wondering how to get that fps :). What I was wondering was is my 8320 bottle necking my gpu and how do I go about over clocking my cpu to 4.5 GHz I currently have coolermaster hyper 212 evo and a M5A99FX PRO R2.0. thanks for any help you guys can give :)

And yes I have turned off the power save feature in Nvidia control panel

Edit: If I do over clock my 8320 will that increase my fps so I get around 250-300 Constant or will I have to get an intel cpu (I ehard those are way better for csgo and cpu heavy games)

Edit: Idle temps on my cpu range from 26-33

Solution
If you're running everything maxed out and getting 180 fps I'm going to assume you're running 1080p or lower?
Which monitor do you have?

I ask because pretty much anything over 60 fps on a 60hz monitor is wasted, anthing over 120 fps on a 120hz monitor is wasted, same with 144hz if you see what I'm getting at.

Where you will see performance differences is at higher resolutions if you can max sliders.

To answer your question though yes it is possible that your CPU is holding back the GPU to some degree, but as I already mentioned, it's not going to make much difference in CSGO since you may already be getting more fps than your monitor can display properly. Overclocking may help to a point but the results probably won't make a huge...

Soulage

Reputable
Apr 14, 2015
If you're running everything maxed out and getting 180 fps I'm going to assume you're running 1080p or lower?
Which monitor do you have?

I ask because pretty much anything over 60 fps on a 60hz monitor is wasted, anthing over 120 fps on a 120hz monitor is wasted, same with 144hz if you see what I'm getting at.

Where you will see performance differences is at higher resolutions if you can max sliders.

To answer your question though yes it is possible that your CPU is holding back the GPU to some degree, but as I already mentioned, it's not going to make much difference in CSGO since you may already be getting more fps than your monitor can display properly. Overclocking may help to a point but the results probably won't make a huge difference.

As for actually overclocking, please do a search either here on the forums or google in general, there are plenty of guides available. I'd advise reading / watching more than just one and try to gain as much knolwedge as you can before making changes in BIOS, especially regarding voltages.

Intel CPU's can be better for intensive games because of the higher single core performance and the thread count used by the game.
As an example an FX 8320 may have 8 "cores" but has a lower single thread count than an i5 4690k running 4 "cores" and currently as far as I'm aware no game is utilizing more than 4 "cores".

Solution