i7 2600(non k version) or fx 8350 for future gaming

jcgamer507

Reputable
Jun 26, 2015
hi i am wondering which cpu i am better off getting. i can get them for the same price. i would pair the cpu with a gtx 660(might upgrade cpu later) so my question is which cpu am i better off getting that will last me the longest because i dont want to upgrade to cpu very soon
Thanks

Solution
8350 however is a very good processor and will serve you well for a long time. But upgrading would be limited to the FX 9590 with the AM3+ Motherboard. After that, any future AMD chips would be using a different socket. But the good news is, after the AMD ZEN Architecture based, processors and APUs come out, there would be a unified socket for all AMD processors. No need to change the mobo for and upgrade for AMD afterwards(Hopefully).

senseijtitus

Honorable
Well, upgrade path would be better off with Intel. But games future proofing would be better with FX 8350 since newer games will be able to utilize the physical cores more effectively with DX12.

If future upgrading has more priority for you, go for a Intel processor with a LGA 2011 Board and with a better processor which would go into it.

senseijtitus

Honorable
8350 however is a very good processor and will serve you well for a long time. But upgrading would be limited to the FX 9590 with the AM3+ Motherboard. After that, any future AMD chips would be using a different socket. But the good news is, after the AMD ZEN Architecture based, processors and APUs come out, there would be a unified socket for all AMD processors. No need to change the mobo for and upgrade for AMD afterwards(Hopefully).

Solution

smackers_12

Honorable
Neither of those cpus have a very promising upgrade path. lga 1155 is effectivley a dead platform. If you go the fx-8350 you are also quite limited in your upgrade path. In my opinion the i7 is a better chip to go with. You have the same number of threads and it has stronger single core performance.

senseijtitus

Honorable
But that i7 only has 4 physical cores. If anything, DX 12 will be utilizing core resources at its full. In that case, hyper threading would be limited in its effectiveness. More performance gain would be for CPU with more physical cores in my opinion. And that would be the FX Chip.

Could you explain why the FX would be better than an Intel i7 with DX12 when it isn't with Mantle and could you please provide a link to a test that proves it? All preliminary DX12 testing has been performed on Intel processors; even a G3258 is much faster when using DX12 or Mantle: http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/1885-dx12-v-mantle-v-dx11-benchmark When Mantle was released, there was speculation that FX CPUs would really benefit from it over Intel, but that never materialized.

senseijtitus

Honorable
How many applications out there take advantage of Mantle?

Mantle is a stand alone application API and is not integrated with any OS Operations or task scheduling. But Direct X 12 is. It will be integrated into Windows 10. And will be supported by games released from when it is released. Its coding is completely different from DX11 or 10.

About the link.

http://www.techpowerup.com/210960/amd-bets-on-directx-12-for-not-just-gpus-but-also-its-cpus.html

And this next link at the end of it.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2900814/tested-directx-12s-potential-performance-leap-is-insane.html

I understand the difference between Mantle and DX12, but you haven't found a DX12 test that directly compares an AMD CPU with an Intel CPU. Until a test with the same video card is performed, everything is pure speculation. Mantle was also supposed to make AMD CPUs better than Intel CPUs, but that didn't happen. DX12 won't help with current DX10 and DX11 games that most likely won't be rewritten; new games and Windows 10 are required. http://www.anandtech.com/show/8962/the-directx-12-performance-preview-amd-nvidia-star-swarm Their conclusion is that 2 cores are good and more than 4 cores doesn't really help. I have yet to see proof that an 8-core AMD or Intel CPU will be a major improvement.

Mantle is dead. Now known as Vulkan. If I may add my two cents. Some games can utilise the FX chips, but the Intel has got a better IPC. The new Zen processors should change that, hopefully... Fact is. You no longer save money buying an AMD FX processor. In some parts of the world the FX would be cheaper, but speaking from experience... The stock FX cooler is ridiculously loud, so spending more for an aftermarket cooler is a must.

smackers_12

Honorable

You can make the argument that the FX only has 4 real physical cores as well due to the way bulldozer cores work. The i7 has stronger physical cores.

senseijtitus

Honorable

Well. That is a common mis understanding. Any one who knows the architectural differences between the AMD and Intel processors would know that. AMD uses a modular design. And in modular design, one module is populated with 2 cores not physically separated. But rather, they are squeezed into one module. All the physical parts of a core is in the module, only doubled in count. So one module has 2 threads + double of all the resources which are to be in a core in a module. The main difference is that the module has only one integer point which is shared by 2 cores in a module.

Intel pretty much moved into the traditional way. 1 Physical core 1 physical thread 1 integer point. + the hyper threading enables a Virtual thread. But in reality, this thread shares the cores resources with the physical thread.

senseijtitus

Honorable

Well. Games are pretty much GPU bound. Most game engines utilize the GPU more than it uses a CPU for calculations.

senseijtitus

Honorable

Go for 8350, save the rest of the money, then wait for the new AMD CPUs to be released. I bet they would be cheaper and more efficient than any Intel CPU. Lets wait and see.

smackers_12

Honorable

Easy there fanboy, no need to start that pissing contest.

op, the 2600 is a better choice for the same price for gaming.

senseijtitus

Honorable

I M sorry. But what made you think This was a Fanboyish suggestion?

I am sorry but I never had been or never will be tolerating any such comment about my suggestion like this.

If you had gone through any of my previous suggestions, they are all given based on the needs and the budget and the location where the OPs are from & the availability of these suggested components .

I was suggesting FX 8350 since it will be a good processor for the money and the OP will get a change to save some money on it and my suggestion to wait is because OP will have a better change of picking the best and cost effective CPU out of the bunch when the next gen AMD CPU is out. It will give a better market pricing position when Intel reduces prices for its top end CPUs and they OP can select the best for his needs based on there reviews.

Don't you think that would be a good time to go for a better CPU?

t least OP will have a clear cut choice between the two next generation CPUs.

smackers_12

Honorable

OP asked which cpu is better for gaming. that would be the i7. Even with a high overclock the 8350 will struggle to come close in games. Your argument is based upon that fact that zen is on the horizon when op states he does not want to upgrade his cpu soon. OP says he can get the two for the same price so he will not save money on a 8350. Why get a weaker chip at the same price; most games are gpu bound and it probably will not make much of a difference which cpu he goes for but looking at the better chip it is the i7. Factor in the costs of a cooler for the 8350 and the intel chip comes on on top on price as well.

In regards to the fanboy comment that was directed toward your comments about zen being better than any intel chip. Who knows what zen will do and I hope that is is a great architecture, AMD really needs it but that does not change anything here. OP asked for a suggestion between the 2600 and the 8350 for gaming and the 2600 is better.

senseijtitus

Honorable

Well my comment about the ZEN Arch was based on media coverage & so called leaks about the architecture design. It looks pretty good to me if AMD pulls it off . That would create a well needed balance in the CPU market for the customers. That's why I said, "LETS WAIT AND SEE".

Regarding i72600, it is good at single core performance. That's not a secret. But more and more games are going to be multi threaded once DX12 is released and that is when the FX chip is going to perform better. Yes, Intels hyperthreading is the think that could compensate for the lack of extra cores. But it will not be a complete replacement for Physical thread and core. On the other hand, the current generation i7 5xxxx series chips are very good. The base model starts with 6 cores(Physical). Its a very good chip compared to anything that AMD has at its disposal right now.

i7 3xxx series and about are better when it comes to games and also most i5 series chips are also very good. But FX 8xxx series has the value for performance advantage.

I would still suggest FX series among these two of OPs choices.

IamTimTech

Admirable
Oct 13, 2014
I would like to chime in that DX12 is going to benefit an i7 just as much as it would an 8350. Further up in the post sense said that DX12 is going to favor FX 83xx chips because it will make better use of their 8 cores, I don't think you understand that it also will benefit the i7 because its 8 threads will be better used. To answer the original question from the OP. Neither has a promising upgrade path, but at the same price the i7 is the better buy. It will still perform handsomely in many tasks and games.

senseijtitus

Honorable
Well. It is my understanding that half of the 8 threads in the Intel CPU are virtual threads and they share the resources with the physical thread in every core it is created in. Right?

And DX12 is designed to use the resources of each core to the max. So is it better for a core to have just one thread and all the resources utilized for that thread, or is it better to split the resources between the Physical Thread & the virtual thread?

Well, I think physical cores with single thread having all core resources at its disposal would have more performance gains than cores with physical + virtual thread.

Please correct me if I am wrong here coz This would be the place for me to learn anything I am not aware of.

IamTimTech

Admirable
Oct 13, 2014

Yes and no. The cores are not just single cores doing twice the work, they are made with two threads in mind. An i7 locked down to 4 cores with no hyperthreading is not as efficient as a regular i5. It will run hotter doing the same work. It actually runs cooler and uses less energy if it runs like an i3; that is with 2 cores running both threads. This information comes directly from my experience with notebooks and laptops.

Not just cores. DX12 is going to use threads and cores to their full potential. The i7 will receive the same improvement in being properly utilized that the FX will.

Again you are mistaken. A single thread from a hyperthreaded intel chip is more efficient that a single AMD core. Which by the way is not all that different from an i7. Two AMD "Cores" sit on a single kernel in an AMD FX processor. They are in a way quad cores with 2 running processors on each core.

IamTimTech

Admirable
Oct 13, 2014
I am not discrediting that DX12 is going to be good for AMD chips. AMD has taken a stance with low cost multicore options and in the consoles that works. DX12 is going to make use of more less efficient cores perhaps offering even more value to the FX series. However DX12 is going to offer the same boon to multi-core/multithreaded Intel processors, not that they needed it.

I recommend against an FX 8300 series right now anyway as the new AM4 socket will soon be released and I think we are going to see good things for the consumer with all of the work they've put into their core efficiency, APU's and HBM.