$1000 Home NAS

madcar86

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2012
I am putting together a NAS for my parents home. I plan on using FreeNAS as the OS, unless there is a better option. Below is the build so far. I just wanted the communities opinion on if it is a solid build. I am not so certain about the motherboard. I like ASUS's bios UI, that is why I went with them. If there is a better choice, please let me know. I would like to stay near the $1000 range. If you have any suggestions, please let me know.

Uses:
1) File server, with remote access
2) Plex Server, minimal streaming requiring transcoding
3) Transcoding blue-ray/dvd using automated handbrake VM.

Questions:
1) I have read for a home NAS use, ECC RAM is not need. Is this true?
2) I heard for FreeNAS you need a odd number of HDD, is this true? If not I am fine with getting only one or two 4TB drives, and expanding later.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1220 V3 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($190.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Asus Z97M-PLUS Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($123.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($87.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Hitachi Deskstar NAS 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($169.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Hitachi Deskstar NAS 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($169.99 @ B&H)
Case: Fractal Design Node 804 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: FSP Group AURUM 92+ 450W 80+ Platinum Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Wired Network Adapter: Intel E1G42ETBLK 10/100/1000 Mbps PCI-Express x4 Network Adapter ($63.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1166.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-26 22:19 EDT-0400

[/listNum]

My only comment is why get another NIC? It does have a Gigabit NIC built in already?

And most likely you don't need ECC Memory unless you really want to be fancy about it.

As far as FreeNAS Questions I've never used it. I use a Celeron 1037U with 4Gb ram a Dell SAS RAID card for my home Media Server / Web Server and it works great for me. not sure why you need to go all out with a Xeon? and a Z97 motherboard?

tigerg

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013
Why do you want to build a computer? Why not just get a Synology/Netgear/Qnap/etc NAS?

The build you have is overpowered for simply writing info to disk and doing the occasional encoding. Moreover, the operating systems provided by Synology or other NAS makers is going to be much easier for your parents to learn or use if they need to get in and make changes.

madcar86

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2012
I saw a video on tested.com, he built a VM in the NAS that would transcode any files he put in a specific folder then spit out the new file and delete the old one. Looked pretty sweet, thought I would try it.

I want to build one because it will be cheaper than purchasing one. And more fun. lol

what do you recommend?

Well if you plan on transcoding files etc on the same box then yea more fire power the better. Don't need a Z97 motherboard but I've never put a Xeon in a desktop board before so don't know if you need the higher end board maybe a H97?

If it was just a NAS and nothing more getting an embedded chipset of either AMD or Intel would be good. there is a nice Quad Core Celeron Boards that if you toss a SSD on will work great. I have a Embedded board with a 1.8Ghz dual core celeron and a SSD + RAID card and storage drives and in every day use I don't see a different between that and my 8 Core over clocked AMD with the same SSD.

So depends on what you want to do. If you go with transcoding the Xeon is def a better choice.

tigerg

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013

I can't argue with that! :) I was only hoping it would not be confusing for your parents to use.