Would a 980 be able to run three monitors?

KREPTiiK

Reputable
Aug 4, 2014
Hey, I have ordered my gaming PC (finally) and it's due to be here with a week or two.

My question is would my 980 card be able to run three monitors? They will all be the same brand and size.

Which is this monitor below...

Asus VN248HA 23.8-Inch Widescreen IPS LED Multimedia Monitor

Only one will be used for gaming, and the other two may only be used for Facebook/Twitch/Movies etc.

So would it be capable or not? Because I don't want to get three monitors and come to find they can't be used properly.

Thanks.

Solution
Your monitors seem to have VGA and HDMI.

Now most 980s have only a single HDMI port. The DVI port can act as a HDMI port with a passive adapter and you will require an adapter from DisplayPort to HDMI for the last one. It is best to ensure such an adapter is active to avoid any issues(read reviews on the adapters to ensure it will be suitable for your needs. Newer cards may work with adapters some older and AMD cards did not work with).

If you happen to have a card with 2 DVI and one HDMI port, you may be able to use passive(cheap) adapters all around(for the last 2 screens).
Your monitors seem to have VGA and HDMI.

Now most 980s have only a single HDMI port. The DVI port can act as a HDMI port with a passive adapter and you will require an adapter from DisplayPort to HDMI for the last one. It is best to ensure such an adapter is active to avoid any issues(read reviews on the adapters to ensure it will be suitable for your needs. Newer cards may work with adapters some older and AMD cards did not work with).

If you happen to have a card with 2 DVI and one HDMI port, you may be able to use passive(cheap) adapters all around(for the last 2 screens).

Solution

KREPTiiK

Reputable
Aug 4, 2014

So if I'm playing say.. BF4/GTA etc. then I should only have one monitor on? What if say for example I was playing a game like CSGO or H1Z1 and I wanted to stream? Where I'd have the game on, the stream open on another screen with the streaming software, and all that stuff?

Echronus

Reputable
Jun 7, 2014
At 1080p you'd be fine on most games, but if you want to push higher resolutions and max settings at good framerates you'll need another 980. As long as you aren't afraid to not be able to max all games games out on triple monitors I'd say you should be fine.

KREPTiiK

Reputable
Aug 4, 2014

I'll only be using one (the middle one when set up) to game on. The other two are just for random stuff.

KREPTiiK

Reputable
Aug 4, 2014

In response to your first comment. It seems that the card I'll be getting has a DVI port, HDMI port and 3 mDP? I must admit I'm not sure what they all are exactly other than the HDMI port. But I will only be using one screen to game on. The rest will be used for videos and stuff.

You will still need a link from the computer to the screens just to use them.

Without extra cables or adapters you will get 2 screens running. 1 would be HDMI the other would be VGA assuming the card has the DVI-I to VGA adapter(and everyone will tell you how awful VGA is even if it is not that bad).

Since you have 3 screens at the least you will want a DisplayPort(or mDP if your card has that, but you better make sure you get the right one) to HDMI cable/adapter.

More ideally you want a DVI to HDMI cable and a DisplayPort to HDMI cable/adapter. to get the most out of all 3 screens.

Echronus

Reputable
Jun 7, 2014

Oh you'll be fine then. I've got a 760 that powers 3 just fine, i only game in the middle one and have work, media, or somethin open in the others. So you should have more than enough horsepower.