R9 290 - Unstable GPU Usage = FPS Drops

Addi_P

Reputable
Jul 6, 2015
Hello! I have an MSI R9 290 4GB Graphics Card for a while now and I have been having some problems with it lately:

I recently started getting frame drops whenever I played a game such as Rust/Portal 2/Euro Truck Sim 2 and many others. After spending hours of monitoring my card while gaming, I noticed that the GPU Usage was unstable. For example: Usage by the game went from 50% to around 5% and then 50 again. In other cases I would get 100% but then drop to 0% usage causing massive frame drops.

I have already checked for temperature throttling, however it turned out not to be the cause since my GPU temperature never exceeded 75C, which for the specific GPU is just fine.
My CPU (AMD FX 9370 4.4ghz) is powerful enough so bottle-necking is not the case here I believe.

If you have any idea of the cause and/or a possible fix, I would really appreciate it! Thanks for your time.

(If there is need, I can provide you with a screen shot of the Afterburner Monitoring Window)

EDIT: I run a stress test and I got 100% usage throughout the whole minute so the problem only appears during gaming

Nibla

Reputable
Jan 7, 2015

monitor temps while in game with hwmonitor program and let me know with screenshot those temps when fps drops.

Addi_P

Reputable
Jul 6, 2015

There you go, I also included a screenshot of the GPU usage during the gameplay.
kbUOjlC.png

ZnTJmy9.png

Addi_P

Reputable
Jul 6, 2015

I have a Corsair 750W CXM 80 Bronze Modular CX750M

It should be enough for my system. I have this PC since April and I never had such a problem.

Solferin

Reputable
Jul 5, 2015
I have the same issue, had it on r9 290 and now i have it on r9 390, can you put the fans manually on 100% and see if the drops occur and i have to ask you one noobish thing but have you updated your win lately?

For me problems started to happen after win update, all temps so far are fine, but my gpu usage goes berserk and the card starts to under clock itself for no reason.

It stops when i manually override the fan spd to 100%

would really like to find a solution for this.

Addi_P

Reputable
Jul 6, 2015

I have tried uninstalling and re-installing my drivers and I have also tried manually setting the fans to 100% like you said. No difference. I didn't get the issue after an update, no. I will try to simply use the refresh feature on my windows and see what happens.

Nibla

Reputable
Jan 7, 2015

Put power limit to +20% on CCC or MSI Afterburner

Omry

Reputable
Oct 27, 2015
im having the same issue with sapphire 7870 XT but it happens also while surfing online and actually not even doing anything that need the gpu to use itself...hope someone get a solution to us/

SmotheryZORF

Commendable
Feb 16, 2016
Was having this issue earlier today, during stress test gpu would be at 100% then drop to 0% for a second. I have the Msi R9 390. I couldn't figure out any way to fix it, until after some digging I saw one thread somewhere that said he disabled the V-sync setting in AMD settings to always off, so I figured I would give that a shot, then I remembered I had just toggled it on not 3 hours ago when this problem then began occuring. Once off BOOM! fixed stays between 93% and 100% during stress test!