980 Ti Reference card's fan stopped spinning, crazy idle temp

griffon9

Reputable
Feb 21, 2015
I feel very unlucky today. My new Zotac 980 Ti reference card is having serious issues. I noticed that when I was playing game and my FPS dropped to like 20. Then I noticed it was the fans!

In GPUZ, fan speed reported by driver is 22% at idle, and yet, fan speed RPM reported by GPU die is 0. And I opend the case and restart, and the fan is dead, totally dead!

Is this the GPU problem or the motherboard problem? How can a new GPU just die in 5 days with dead fan. I will test with my 980 non-ti card to see what problem it is. Anyone know the RMA process for Zotac? And anyone know more about fan not spinning problem? This is reference BTW the fan should ALWAYS be spinning.

Solution
Your problem is more often related to the power control chip of the card, located or near the fan connector of the board or Vrm power stage of the graphics card the fan are controlled with power modulation or the power control chip on the card so if it was faulty mostly due to heat from the Gpu can card cooling solution of your card. it may or well be damaged due to heat.
In some cases it may of stopped working once again because the solder on the pins of the power controller chip of the card have flowed causing a bad connection.

But if the card is new as you know Rma it or try to get a re fund so you can buy the same card by another brand maker.
I don`t have much faith in Zotac cards also seen a lot of them fail for daft things on the...
Your problem is more often related to the power control chip of the card, located or near the fan connector of the board or Vrm power stage of the graphics card the fan are controlled with power modulation or the power control chip on the card so if it was faulty mostly due to heat from the Gpu can card cooling solution of your card. it may or well be damaged due to heat.
In some cases it may of stopped working once again because the solder on the pins of the power controller chip of the card have flowed causing a bad connection.

But if the card is new as you know Rma it or try to get a re fund so you can buy the same card by another brand maker.
I don`t have much faith in Zotac cards also seen a lot of them fail for daft things on the board in comparison to other branded cards with the same Gpu fitted, noting the cooling for the GPU and VRM modules have a much better thought and layout.
It`s clear as you know the card or GPU is now running close to 100c on the gpu die and major throttle back of core/clock speed.
Sorry to hear about your problem, I cannot offer much more on the advice to fix it if not still under it`s warranty.

Solution

RAZER Gamer

Reputable
May 27, 2015

I agree, I wish Zotac never existed. I have met several people on these forums having problems with Zotac and Palit cards, both are terrible brands. You are much better going with Asus, MSI or EVGA all extremely good and reliable brands which won't cause problems!

griffon9

Reputable
Feb 21, 2015
I resolved it. Basically I disemabled the thing and reconnected the fan connector between stock cooler and PCB and it worked. I didn't pay attention if the connector was already dis-connected before I reconnected it, though. But it would be weird it was already disconnected, I mean, I never disemabled a GPU before how could it fall off (supposing it did).

grimlockPH

Reputable
May 20, 2014
All manufacturers have their own problems with their cards, not all cards are perfect and you could never tell that there is something wrong with the GPU before it's too late. Well, RMA is your best option in this case. You might be having bad luck. I have a reference 970 from Zotac. No issues whatsoever and in perfectly fine condition.