I3 4150 VS I5 4460 Gaming.

cody4721

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
Hey there

I have been wondering about the difference of the 2 processors in terms of gaming performance for a while and now am completely confused.

I'm gonna be building a new system in a week and have shortlisted most of the parts.

Will be getting a asus strix gtx 960 2gb thats for sure.

Am confused on the mobo and cpu part. I did set a budget for the i5 4460 and gigabyte h97m d3h , but hearing that the i3 4160 performs similar in games , starting to get double thoughts.

I can get the i5 but it would be great if i can save some money with the i3 and get the same results.

I wont be doing anything heavy apart from gaming and some autocad , staad etc.

Screen resolution is 1366x768 but may get 1080p if saved on the processor.

No i will not be overclocking but clearly these 2 processors dont allow that.

Also does the hyperthreading help in the i3? or am i better off with the g3258 OC?

Any help will be great.

Solution
For a mid-range gpu like a 960, the i5 would perform similarly as an i3 in most games, and for some where the i5 performs better, we would be looking at 5 fps more at most.

If you could afford it, you would be much more satisfied getting an i5 which may still be more than enough beyond your next gpu upgrade. But if you need to save the money like say for a better screen, an i3 would still get the job done nicely. The i3 hyperthreading would not translate to more performance in gaming, but in real life situation where windows run numerous background tasks, it would certainly take the load off the dual core. This is the main reason I would not settle for an oc g3258.
4 cores are far better than 2. Most games want 4 cores anymore. Get the I5-4460.

Hyper Threading might help autoCAD a little bit vs no hyper threading... It is not going to be much use in gaming.

Again, 4 real cores is always better than 2, even if the 2 has hyper threading.

hamzahfelix

Distinguished
For a mid-range gpu like a 960, the i5 would perform similarly as an i3 in most games, and for some where the i5 performs better, we would be looking at 5 fps more at most.

If you could afford it, you would be much more satisfied getting an i5 which may still be more than enough beyond your next gpu upgrade. But if you need to save the money like say for a better screen, an i3 would still get the job done nicely. The i3 hyperthreading would not translate to more performance in gaming, but in real life situation where windows run numerous background tasks, it would certainly take the load off the dual core. This is the main reason I would not settle for an oc g3258.

Solution