i5-4690 safe temperature

Tibblist1

Reputable
Jul 9, 2015
I was using prime95 to test my cpu at full load since it was suggested a few places that I looked online, the cpu temp got up to 77 degrees which I read was the upper safety limit but I also noticed that turboboost had all 4 cores still running at 3.7ghz which is .2ghz higher than the 3.5ghz its normally at, will turbo-boost lower the clock speed before it overheats?

callofDEEP

Reputable
Feb 9, 2015
not for that cpu.. and any game wont take it to that temp.. u will be under 75(worst case) while playing any game.. benchmarks are designed to run cpu in a frugal way.. and dont worry about 3.7ghz.. it may go upto 3.9ghz due to turbo boost.. its working frequency is 3.5(to save energy)---3.9(at max load)ghz..
tl;dr
no worries.. its normal

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Guys,

Here's the normal operating range for Core temperature:

80C Hot (100% Load)
75C Warm
70C Warm (Heavy Load)
60C Norm
50C Norm (Medium Load)
40C Norm
30C Cool (Idle)

100C is "Throttle" temperature, which means that the processor is already overheated, and is at least 20 degrees into an overtemp condition.

Think of your car's temperature gauge; the engine is designed to run just fine at 80C (176F), but will still keep running at 100C (212F), the boiling point of water, which we all know is too hot for normal operation.

Please read this Tom’s Sticky: Intel Temperature Guide - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1800828/intel-temperature-guide.html

Tibblist1,

What is your ambient temperature?

Which monitoring software?

Which version of Prime95?

Which torture test?

CT :sol: