FX-8350 clocked at 1.32-1.37 GHz in windows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaneisback

Reputable
Jun 8, 2014
I noticed a shameful amount of time after buying an FX-8350 and MSI 970 gaming motherboard that in windows my processor is clocked at 1.32-1.37 GHz across all programs I used to test it, namely CPU-Z and good 'ol task manager. This seemed especially odd because in BIOS my CPU was clocked at 4 GHz; stock. All of the multipliers were normal and nothing seem(ed/s) amiss. However in CPU-Z the multiplier was x7.0. x7.0! This would explain why I was getting 30fps or so in every single game I played. (Prompting me to blame it on my GTX 760 and buy a GTX 780 just to get the same frame rates, but that's a completely different story)

However I have "fixed" this problem before by messing around with BIOS setting like disabling auto-multipliers and following the instructions in FX-8350 overclocking guides. Yet after a short and random amount of time I get an error (Sometimes. Might be a different issue),(Sometimes. Might be a different issue) BSOD, receive a message when re-booting that my "overclocking has failed" This happens whether I am underclocked, stock, or overclocked. I first thought this to be an issue with AMD cool 'n quiet or AMD turbo core so I disabled them. Same error.

I think it has something to do with my CPU voltage. In BIOS when my processor is clocked at 1.32-1.36 GHz the CPU voltage is .880V or so and when it is not having the issue it is around 1.37V. I do not remember exactly but this appears to correlate directly with my issue. Before you ask all of my drivers are up to date along with my BIOS. I'm planning on doing a clean installation to fix an issue with random BSODs (details here

I'm posting this in motherboards instead of windows because I strongly believe this issue to be with my motherboard.

Specs:
GTX EVGA 780

MSI 970 gaming motherboard

FX-8350 CPU

Patriot Sector 5 RAM Factory clock 1066 Mhz

CM 690 II advanced case

RM 850 80+ gold PSU.

I'm kind of hanging on to my last shred of patience here, any one got any ideas?

Solution

This is the best answer to this thread even though it's only a temporary solution. It appears that when I get the "over-clocking has failed!" errors the values are reset in BIOS.

For anyone looking for a permanent solution to this problem another poster suggested investing in a 990fx chipset motherboard that isn't MSI. That is what I will do once I have the funds. This thread as of 04:24 CST on 7/10/15 is active and attempting to find a solution. Right now one involving hair dryers.

Best of luck to whomever else may have...

Romeru

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013
Disable the power saving features for the processor in your bios and see if it makes any difference. Your cpu will not work harder than it needs to. Therefore it will clock down itself when doing light stuff.

Tobias Kuess

Reputable
Apr 8, 2014

I once had the same problem with my motherboard getting too hot, but it was not the VRM, it was the Northbridge:

http://img5.fotos-hochladen.net/uploads/iirk8lengsnqrezal5de17pm8.jpg

yes, it is another motherboard, i know. But the FX-Bulldozer CPUs tend to heat up the northbridge pretty bad. Additionally there is the GPU right underneath the heatsink.

OP, you should try to point a hair dryer on cold settings on to each of your Heatsinks on the Mainboard an see if this changes something.

Also try to monitor the TMPIN-Temperatures with HWMonitor. Screenshot maybe?

Zaneisback

Reputable
Jun 8, 2014

Perhaps so. It appears at idle my systen is around 50 C or so maybe around 65 C under load. Is there any good software out there that will let me monitor VRM and/or CPU temps under load. It's just odd because it happens all the time not just when I'm playing games. It stays at 1.36 or so GHz. I've also noticed when the CPU is at the right clock speed the fan spins alot more. If that helps in any way at all.

Zaneisback

Reputable
Jun 8, 2014

OP delivers! http://imgur.com/a/v5eLo

Zaneisback

Reputable
Jun 8, 2014

I'll do that and I'll be right back. However gaming puts a load on the CPU and it never clocks back up.

Tobias Kuess

Reputable
Apr 8, 2014

if we really have a thermal throttling here, which I am pretty sure about, TMPIN1 or 2 is your problem. Now do the old hairdryer-trick to find out where the sensor is located on your board. Point the hairdryer (cold !) onto the southbridge and watch the temperature of each of the tempins. Do the same to the Northbridge and the VRM/MOSFETs (left of your CPU socket). So you can identify which of these heatsinks is getting too hot and causes the thermal throttling :)

If you have this information you can provide it here so we can dicuss further steps.

Zaneisback

Reputable
Jun 8, 2014

This is what I have been thinking for awhile now. I've even asked on this forum for a good 990fx chipset board. I bought this board last year because I liked the MSI brand/color scheme and it said they were compatible. You have any suggestions for a good 990fx board?

abaday789

Honorable
Jul 4, 2014
I'm just thinking back to when I had my 8350 on a 970 ASUS board and had the same issues with the TMPIN1/2 getting way too hot and not being able to cope.

here's my temps for a bit of comparison with a 8350 on a 990fx board with a Hyper 212 evo cooler stuck on top of it
http://imgur.com/SQBWDr6

SQBWDr6

Zaneisback

Reputable
Jun 8, 2014

It's about 4AM where I am and I have a few other people in the house so that's a bit of an issue for me, I'll do it first thing once I wake up at an ungodly hour tomorrow. Although if I'm not mistaken those temps aren't bad at all thermal wise? A thermal jump of just a few degrees at a maximum. I'll do it anyways but it looks like my solution is to get a 990fx motherboard.

Zaneisback

Reputable
Jun 8, 2014

This is the best answer to this thread even though it's only a temporary solution. It appears that when I get the "over-clocking has failed!" errors the values are reset in BIOS.

For anyone looking for a permanent solution to this problem another poster suggested investing in a 990fx chipset motherboard that isn't MSI. That is what I will do once I have the funds. This thread as of 04:24 CST on 7/10/15 is active and attempting to find a solution. Right now one involving hair dryers.

Best of luck to whomever else may have this issue. :D

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.