i5 vs i7 in a 980 Ti build

wllmgrms

Reputable
Feb 20, 2015
I'm considering building a new computer, and I'm trying to wrap a solid one all together for a $1500-$1600 budget. Does it make sense to go with an i7 over an i5 in a build that would be used for gaming, streaming, maybe some coding work (nothing heavy), etc.

Anyone have a strong selling point on either CPU?

Solution
The i7 is a better processor overall, so if it fits in teh budget then you should get it.

If you are having budget troubles and this is primarily a gaming machine then the i5 in most gaming scenarios performs very closely to the i7. So this is a great place to save a hundred bucks if something else takes priority.

In most cases the debate comes down to "Should I sink that hundred bucks in to the i7 or a better video card" in which case most of the times the answer is video card because a better video card generally helps gaming better than the switch to the i7, but since you're already set on pretty much the fastest gaming GPU available then only if something else is more important would you make that sacrifice.

JayCee993

Reputable
Nov 19, 2014
If your using this PC to stream then I would go with the i7, what board are you using. The 1150 socket i7 4790k is probably one of the best streaming processors for the money. Depends on what quality you would like in the stream and how much you want to stress out your Processor. When streaming an i5 is sufficient but if your streaming with high quality it may start to drop performance in the game your actually playing "With MMO's etc" "League etc not so much"

Jason

Traciatim

Distinguished
The i7 is a better processor overall, so if it fits in teh budget then you should get it.

If you are having budget troubles and this is primarily a gaming machine then the i5 in most gaming scenarios performs very closely to the i7. So this is a great place to save a hundred bucks if something else takes priority.

In most cases the debate comes down to "Should I sink that hundred bucks in to the i7 or a better video card" in which case most of the times the answer is video card because a better video card generally helps gaming better than the switch to the i7, but since you're already set on pretty much the fastest gaming GPU available then only if something else is more important would you make that sacrifice.

Solution

blasc

Reputable
Nov 21, 2014
no sense in buying a 980 Ti and not going for the i7. If you have that kind of money for the GPU, you most definitely have the 100$ difference that goes from the i5 to the i7.

Furthermore, DX12 is coming, and with it, the ability for multi core in games, and the fact that games in future will go get more resources from the CPU than they do now.

Also, like things are progressing, getting an i7 will make your build stay up to date for longer, without a need for an upgrade.

Finally, i7 comes with a higher clock stock, and a bigger OC capability ;) i5 should be for a gaming rig on "budget" ("budget" because its not the cheapest CPU out there).

wllmgrms

Reputable
Feb 20, 2015
Computer has been built now, and instead of going with an i5 or i7, I went with a Xeon. :) E3-1241 V3. Better than an i5, and a little under an i7 (IMO). Wasn't interested in overclocking right now, and didn't want integrated graphics. So I decided on a Xeon. I will probably swap it out for an i7 a little down the road when I decide I want to overclock and get some extra CPU power. Totally happy with the Xeon, it runs fantastic.

Latest posts