Would the R9 390 be a good upgrade for me?

ghostface97

Honorable
Jul 29, 2013
Hey, so unfortunately I was a bit unhappy with my current build because it would stutter a lot in many games I wanted to play (gta v, watchdogs, dis honored). I know some are shitty optimized like watch dogs but not even at low settings would it just run smooth at all.

Anyways my set up is:
R9 280
I5 4590
550 psu
Msi h8m1 mobo
8gb ram

So I was just curious if the r9 390 would be any better? If yes would my cpu bottleneck or would I need a new psu?

Thanks in advance

Solution

It depends on the games you play and what kind of performance you expect at certain settings. For instance, if you play demanding titles like the Witcher 3, or Crysis 3, or Shadow of Mordor, and you aren't willing to play at anything less than an ultra preset, that 10-15 fps bump will be very helpful. Depending on the genre of game, having a constant 60fps may be necessary, or it may not even matter if you have a 10fps drop frequently. Like if you play first person shooters like CS:GO, then a...

ghostface97

Honorable
Jul 29, 2013

Thanks! And would you think the extra 10-15 fps would make a difference? And would it be worth the money?

cleanshot911

Reputable
Oct 28, 2014

It depends on the games you play and what kind of performance you expect at certain settings. For instance, if you play demanding titles like the Witcher 3, or Crysis 3, or Shadow of Mordor, and you aren't willing to play at anything less than an ultra preset, that 10-15 fps bump will be very helpful. Depending on the genre of game, having a constant 60fps may be necessary, or it may not even matter if you have a 10fps drop frequently. Like if you play first person shooters like CS:GO, then a constant 60fps is necessary. If you play third person games, or racing games, it might not be as important. But if you play demanding titles at 1080p, then having an r9 390 over an r9 280 is going to make a big difference, as, in my personal experience, having a constant 60fps is a far better experience then having frame variance between 50-60fps. But yeah, if you play at 1080p, you'll be able to play any game at a constant 60fps, as long as you're willing to turn down a few unnecessary settings in more demanding games. You should do some research on post processing effects and the difference between how textures and shadows effect performance, if you're not familiar with those concepts already. But yeah, believe me, those frames are worth the money if you've got it.

Solution