980 Ti for 1080p Gaming, still overkill for this case?

BlackFireBR

Reputable
May 28, 2015
Hello everyone.
Next month I'll be leaving the United States and I won't be coming back for years, I'm building a new PC and I'm in doubt about Graphics Card to chose.

My plan is to have a setup that lasts years, running everything at 60FPS.

The rest of my setup will be good enough for any graphics cards.

I will be playing high-demand single-player games mostly.

I will be using this monitor:
LG Electronics UM67 34UM67 34-Inch
Resolution: 2560 x 1080
Refresh Rate: 75Hz

Although I'm in doubt if this wouldn't be a better choice, it's a 1440p/4k monitor, but I fear that this would be too much demanding, and my setup won't last too long.

And also, this monitor is only 60HZ compared to the 75HZ of the above.

LG Electronics UM95 34UM95 34-Inch
Resolution: 3440x1440
Refresh Rate: 60Hz

With that in mind, would a 980Ti be overkill for the first monitor? Should I buy a regular GTX 980 instead? Or I should consider the second monitor? Let me know what you guys think.

Solution
If you are truly wanting a card that will last for years and give you great performance at higher levels if you wanted to. If the money situation wont hurt you too bad, then yeah I think the 980 ti is still good to buy. The Fury air cooled might be a thought too, though as it is only $549 and has pretty good performance for that price, certainly above the 980.

Anything less, say 970 or 390x may be pushing 60-70 fps in 1080P all maxed TODAY, but ya never know what will happen in the next few years and I think it really depends how long you intend to keep the card. If you mean seriously 5 years long, then I would seriously think fury air cooled or 980 ti just to be safe.

Reaper_7799

Distinguished
If you are truly wanting a card that will last for years and give you great performance at higher levels if you wanted to. If the money situation wont hurt you too bad, then yeah I think the 980 ti is still good to buy. The Fury air cooled might be a thought too, though as it is only $549 and has pretty good performance for that price, certainly above the 980.

Anything less, say 970 or 390x may be pushing 60-70 fps in 1080P all maxed TODAY, but ya never know what will happen in the next few years and I think it really depends how long you intend to keep the card. If you mean seriously 5 years long, then I would seriously think fury air cooled or 980 ti just to be safe.

Solution

BlackFireBR

Reputable
May 28, 2015
That's exactly my case. I have some extra money to expend, if the performance difference is worth it. I was going initially for the GTX 970, but I'll be gaming for at least 4 years, with this setup, so that's why I was considering the 980 Ti.

Thank you for the answer.

Reaper_7799

Distinguished

You're welcome, This card will last you a long time at 1080P, even at 1440P all maxed out it will last quite a few years I think. A few games are just not optimized enough but for the most part, it gets above 60fps all ultra 1440P. It will be great with either of those monitors, they are both very nice, I'm liking these 34" monitors more and more.