$1000 Gaming Build For Friend - no peripherals or OS needed

polaracv

Reputable
Jul 13, 2015
So I'm building for a friend and so far it seems like an i5 and an upper end GPU would be good(970?)

- I don't think there will be any overclocking or upgrading so I was thinking maybe I don't need a real expensive motherboard and also not sure on the PSU.

-My friend has extra storage so i was just thinking an SSD would be fine.

-Since I'm dealing with someone that knows even less than me, 16GB ram is pretty much a must since it looks sexier.

-Any comments would be appreciated, thanks.

Solution
Since you already have a few builds, I'll offer some options.

Understanding overclocking is not on the table at this point, but I really don't see a 16 GB build w.o the option. No need to curtail performance w/ H97 and non k processors. I think you'd be better served with 2133 8Gb than 16GB ... Thos 16GB is just $43 more
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/mushkin-memory-997121f

As far as looks go, you'd be hard pressed to say 1 "looks better / sexier as w/o looking at the sticker, you won't know the difference between 2 x 4 Gb and 2 x 8Gb

The MoBo is one of the best performers out there.

Understanding that he already has storage but where will the games be ? Certainly not on a 120 GB SSD. Even a 250 runs out with games now running...

CTurbo

Pizza Monster
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock H97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($69.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($84.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card ($319.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($62.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: XFX Core Edition 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($49.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $862.82
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-13 23:07 EDT-0400

- 8GB R9 390 video card.
- Samsung SSD.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($176.95 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock H97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($81.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($97.95 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card ($329.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts Green 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($14.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $886.72
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-13 23:15 EDT-0400

Since you already have a few builds, I'll offer some options.

Understanding overclocking is not on the table at this point, but I really don't see a 16 GB build w.o the option. No need to curtail performance w/ H97 and non k processors. I think you'd be better served with 2133 8Gb than 16GB ... Thos 16GB is just $43 more
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/mushkin-memory-997121f

As far as looks go, you'd be hard pressed to say 1 "looks better / sexier as w/o looking at the sticker, you won't know the difference between 2 x 4 Gb and 2 x 8Gb

The MoBo is one of the best performers out there.

Understanding that he already has storage but where will the games be ? Certainly not on a 120 GB SSD. Even a 250 runs out with games now running 30-40GB. An SSHD will give you 50% faster performance than a HD and boots Windows in 16.5 seconds compared to the SSDs 15.6

Along with futiure overclocking, I allowed for the later addition of a 2nd 970... case and PSU are sized accordingly.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.98 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($104.98 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Mushkin Redline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive ($90.02 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($358.89 @ Amazon)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1008.84
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-13 23:39 EDT-0400

If the budget was lower, by all means I'd go H97 and a non-overclockable CPU, but at $1000, all this stuff is right there . You can run as is for the time being and 12, 18 months down the line add another GPU and a CPU cooler whereas h97 won't allow for that option.

Solution

polaracv

Reputable
Jul 13, 2015
Really appreciate all the replies, guys. This is really helpful. I'm not up on the modern builds and wasn't aware of the nuances involved. Do you think I should get a cheap cooler or is the stock one going to be okay?

CTurbo

Pizza Monster
The stock cooler is fine for stock speeds. An after market cooler is required for overclocking. You can see that the price of overclocking adds up pretty quick. I don't really recommend it.

JackNaylorPE's build is very good though if you see yourself needing to run two video cards in the future. That's something mine and Archaic59's builds do not support. I do not agree with the hybrid drive though. I much prefer the ssd + hdd combo.

I also agree that 16GB is not necessary for most users.

In most builds above you don't have an CPU or MoBo that permits overclocking .... so unless you go the Z97 / k processor route, a cooler is a complete waste of cash. The $1,000 price point seems to be popular of late and we've done several of those builds above in last few months. With Z97 / K series, overclocking is an option..... one, which like SLI, you may not want to tackle at this point in time.... But again, down the line, have k series, Z97 and SLI capable MoBo / PSU, you will not be prohibited from choosing that route at some pint in the future which is why i recommend that you don't pidgeon hole yaself.

The SSD + SSHD is the best of both worlds.... and with cheaper SSDs becoming available, a "full" SSD is becoming less and less of a problem. I refuse to do a build w/ a 120 GB SSD and HD .... I am tired of these builds coming back because their SSD is "full" and the user is not astute enough of a user to clean them.

In the office, I hate SSD + HD combos.... the speed is nice for a field engineer to run AutoCAD on laptops but again.... when they keep getting pulled from active service so the SSD can be thinned out, the downtime loss far exceeds the speed advantage. No one ever has yet made a successful case for an ROI for SSDs in a work environment outside very specialized applications such as video processing. The user remains the bottleneck.

SSDs are great for bragging rights but result in no real increase in productivity. For the gamer, there are two reasons to get an SSD:

1. Boot time: The SSD in our test rig boots windows in 15.6 seconds from pressing power button to arrival on desktop. The SSD does it in 16.5 seconds. Without a stop watch no one can tell which is which.

2. In game load times, the SSD does squat for games not on the SSD. So with a typical Windows install footprint at 60-80 Gigs, that leaves room for about 1 AA game on the SSD since you wanna keep file space to about 95GB. An SSHD will be about 50% faster than the HD in every single game.

Again, a 250 GB SSD and 2 TB SSHD is the ideal combo, but that ain't happening in a $1,000 build. I always recommend keeping a spare windows install on its own partition on the SSHD. Adding a SSD down the line is an easy upgrade when no longer subject to a total $1,000 limit. Much better alternative to tossing that cheap HD to replace with something faster.

Because we have two SSDs, two SSHDs and a HD, I keep moving stuff around w/o telling anyone. When a game is moved from / to an SSD ? SSHD, no body has noticed..... when the boot drive is switched between SSD / SSHD, no one has noticed. The 15.6 vs 16.5 seconds is too small a difference to be noted where the HDs (and its a very fast HD) 21.6 seconds will generally be observed if not distracted.

One thing that needs mentioning tho .... if your the type who plays FC3, finishes and then moves onto Witcher 3 and then to FC4, the SSD will rock your world moving the files from the game you are currently playing to the SSD portion. But if you're the guy who plays 8 different games each day and the next day 6 of the 8 are different ... rinse and repeat ... then the SSHD will benefit you much less.

I find 16GB a boon if you can get it in .... costs $40 extra at 2133. You can get by with 8 but you'll notice16 if you do multi card GFX, pay attention to minimum fps, or use any demanding programs....

if it came down to spending an extra $60 for:

a. upgrading from 8GB to 16GB of RAM ($40) and upgrading HD to SSHD ($20)
b. Adding a ($60) 120 GB SSD

I'd take the "a" in a heartbeat

-Upgrading the RAM is iffy as 2nd set of 2 x 4GB may not play well with others and perhaps will negatively impact CPU overclock.

-You can't upgrade the $69 HD to a $89 SSHD.

-Meanwhile, adding a 250 GB SSD after 3-6 months is an easy add, costing $75 - $100.

It's more how easy the upgrade route is then the relative advantages on day 1.