R9 280 Black Screen After Leaving PC Open For Long Time

Ali Abuklam

Reputable
Jul 14, 2015
Hello,

So I have a new pc ( win 7 ) with r9 280 series and sometimes when i leave the pc on for a long time the screen shuts down and becomes black.. pc is not in sleep since i can hear everything is working. even the sleep mode is off. mouse and keyboard are working. but not screen. and nothing like pressing a key or moving the mouse can wake it up. even pressing the power button doesn't do anything, nor pressing the reset button will bring it back. I have to turn it completely off by press and hold the power button and turn it on so i can get the screen working again.

Motherboard: MSI 970 Gaming.
CPU: AMD Fx 6300 6 core 3.5 ghz
Power supply: nex 750 w corsair gold.

Solution
Hi,

That is a know issue with AMD drivers for the r9 280,I used to have a hd6850 which never did it and when I got a r9 280 it started doing that every now and then. AMD seem to think they fixed but still does it,they have just released new drivers so it might be worth trying them but I simply never allow my pc to attemped to power save monitor mode and now it never does it,screen saver stays on all time.

Fineus_

Reputable
Jul 9, 2015
Have you checked your monitors power saving / screen saver settings?

I might be barking up the wrong tree here, but it could be shutting itself down and refusing to wake from user input...

beefy

Distinguished
May 22, 2004
Hi,

That is a know issue with AMD drivers for the r9 280,I used to have a hd6850 which never did it and when I got a r9 280 it started doing that every now and then. AMD seem to think they fixed but still does it,they have just released new drivers so it might be worth trying them but I simply never allow my pc to attemped to power save monitor mode and now it never does it,screen saver stays on all time.

Solution