Solved

Graphics card upgrade for my Dell XPS 8300

I'm looking to upgrade my Dell XPS 8300's graphics card. I was wondering if there were any that could run GTA 5 and NBA 2k15 smoothly that would be compatible with my PC, thanks.

Specs-

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz
8GB RAM
AMD Radeon HD 5700 Series
17 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about graphics card upgrade dell xps 8300
  1. Best answer
    It depends on your monitor. I am assuming you are gaming at 1080p. I also took the liberty to figure out that your psu is rated at 450 watts. Because of this, I would recommend an r9 370/270/380, gtx 950, or 960

    The 270 will give the most bang for the buck, but the gtx 950 and 960 are solid GPU options from nvidia. I would get a 200 series card though, as the prices are coming down.

    If you are willing to upgrade your psu, you will have many upgrade paths in your future, and if so inclined, your cpu will be powerful enough for vr with the appropriate graphics card.
  2. I'd aim for something like the GTX 780 It's definitely a great card (I use it myself) and it's also not too expensive !
  3. matthijsdejong said:
    I'd aim for something like the GTX 780 It's definitely a great card (I use it myself) and it's also not too expensive !

    That card uses to much power for his psu, and the 970 costs less with better performance...
  4. Firepower0701 said:
    It depends on your monitor. I am assuming you are gaming at 1080p. I also took the liberty to figure out that your psu is rated at 450 watts. Because of this, I would recommend an r9 370/270/380, gtx 950, or 960

    The 270 will give the most bang for the buck, but the gtx 950 and 960 are solid GPU options from nvidia. I would get a 200 series card though, as the prices are coming down.

    If you are willing to upgrade your psu, you will have many upgrade paths in your future, and if so inclined, your cpu will be powerful enough for vr with the appropriate graphics card.


    Ok thanks. I think I'm leaning towards an r9 270. What psu would you reccomend?
  5. well, your psu is fine for this card, but if you did get a more powerful card, I would aim for this. It is the psu I have, and it will be able to sustain all future upgrades. But once again, your power supply is capable of running the r9 270 or 270x, even overclocked.
  6. Firepower0701 said:
    matthijsdejong said:
    I'd aim for something like the GTX 780 It's definitely a great card (I use it myself) and it's also not too expensive !

    That card uses to much power for his psu, and the 970 costs less with better performance...


    where did the stability go? whoops half a gig gone 780 or 780ti is more stable and good for SLI but (these arent facts but opinions)
  7. matthijsdejong said:
    Firepower0701 said:
    matthijsdejong said:
    I'd aim for something like the GTX 780 It's definitely a great card (I use it myself) and it's also not too expensive !

    That card uses to much power for his psu, and the 970 costs less with better performance...


    where did the stability go? whoops half a gig gone 780 or 780ti is more stable and good for SLI but (these arent facts but opinions)


    That is wonderful, but that card is still not in his budget ( at the moment) and is a worse buy because it will unsupported by nvidia faster.
  8. @Firepower, can his Dell XPS 8300's PSU be upgraded at all? I have a Dell Precision 5810, which has a proprietary 685 Watt PSU, and I'd be surprised if it was upgradeable. A lot of people with Dell XPS ask this question, but I don't personally know the answer, which is why I am asking.

    Btw, I love those XPS computers. I used to really drool over that model-line every time Dell released a new model.
  9. rcald2000 said:
    @Firepower, can his Dell XPS 8300's PSU be upgraded at all? I have a Dell Precision 5810, which has a proprietary 685 Watt PSU, and I'd be surprised if it was upgradeable. A lot of people with Dell XPS ask this question, but I don't personally know the answer, which is why I am asking.

    Btw, I love those XPS computers. I used to really drool over that model-line every time Dell released a new model.


    It seems that they can, but I only recommended the PSU as an upgrade path. Also, you know not of the magic circular saw.
  10. Before you jump on the upgrade wagon there's a couple things you need to know. The power supplies in Dell systems aren't the greatest. I typically recommend upgrading a PSU in a Dell box before upgrading the GPU. Also the HD 5750 and 5770 only use a single 6 pin PCI power cable. The 370 uses a single 6 pin PCI connector but the 380 uses two 6 pin connectors. And then there's the wattage. A r9 380 can draw up to 250 watts a peak usage. I typically recommend 550 watt quality units for 280/280x cards.

    For anything more powerful than the 370, it might not be a bad idea to look into a new PSU.
  11. barto said:
    Before you jump on the upgrade wagon there's a couple things you need to know. The power supplies in Dell systems aren't the greatest. I typically recommend upgrading a PSU in a Dell box before upgrading the GPU. Also the HD 5750 and 5770 only use a single 6 pin PCI power cable. The 370 uses a single 6 pin PCI connector but the 380 uses two 6 pin connectors. And then there's the wattage. A r9 380 can draw up to 250 watts a peak usage. I typically recommend 550 watt quality units for 280/280x cards.

    For anything more powerful than the 370, it might not be a bad idea to look into a new PSU.


    At max load with the r9 270, his psu should only be drawing 370 watts of the 450 watts available. I know most dell PSUs are crap, but for this I think it will be fine.
  12. Firepower0701 said:
    matthijsdejong said:
    Firepower0701 said:
    matthijsdejong said:
    I'd aim for something like the GTX 780 It's definitely a great card (I use it myself) and it's also not too expensive !

    That card uses to much power for his psu, and the 970 costs less with better performance...


    where did the stability go? whoops half a gig gone 780 or 780ti is more stable and good for SLI but (these arent facts but opinions)


    That is wonderful, but that card is still not in his budget ( at the moment) and is a worse buy because it will unsupported by nvidia faster.


    nope hmm maybe a gtx 660? still fairly good and nvidia suports it.
  13. The 270 OC'ed beats the 660 OC'ed, and, and why whould you buy a card from 3 generations ago. I don't even know if the 660 will support DirectX 12! Also, you can't even find a new 660, and the refurbished ones cost over 30$ more than the 270.
  14. alec10 said:
    I'm looking to upgrade my Dell XPS 8300's graphics card. I was wondering if there were any that could run GTA 5 and NBA 2k15 smoothly that would be compatible with my PC, thanks.

    Specs-

    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz
    8GB RAM
    AMD Radeon HD 5700 Series


    my cousin too have XPS 8300 (Radeon HD5850/Corei7) upgraded PSU with a Corsair CS650M & MSI GTX970, but it just fits, System runs quieter now (MSI GTX970 fan spins down in normal operation) running BF4

    Hope that helps.
  15. I think the R9 270 will be my choice for an upgrade. It's performance is great for the price. Thank you for the suggestions.
  16. Firepower0701 said:
    At max load with the r9 270, his psu should only be drawing 370 watts of the 450 watts available. I know most dell PSUs are crap, but for this I think it will be fine.


    You said it not me. It has little to do with wattage with more on build quality. Dell's don't have quality power supplies.
  17. barto said:
    Firepower0701 said:
    At max load with the r9 270, his psu should only be drawing 370 watts of the 450 watts available. I know most dell PSUs are crap, but for this I think it will be fine.


    You said it not me. It has little to do with wattage with more on build quality. Dell's don't have quality power supplies.


    True, but the PSU's tend to crap out if you approach their peak wattage/voltage
Ask a new question

Read More

Dell Studio Xps Graphics Cards Graphics