$400 to upgrade high-end build

Solution
I would advise against the Krait motherboard.

http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cpu_mainboard/msi_z97_sli_krait_motherboard_review/13

The EVGA G2 and GS are both tier one units. It's a high tiered unit built by Super Flower as well. Can't go wrong with either of them. I personally, although I like Seasonic, think the G2 units are a better buy. I simply like what Super Flower is doing more. Either are excellent though. The Super Flower unit might be a little quieter. For the price vs quality, I'd recommend an EVGA B2 series unit like this. Also built by Super Flower, did Silver efficiency in JonnyGuru testing, semi modular and the price difference would allow you to get a better case.

PCPartPicker part list / Price...
I would advise against the Krait motherboard.

http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cpu_mainboard/msi_z97_sli_krait_motherboard_review/13

The EVGA G2 and GS are both tier one units. It's a high tiered unit built by Super Flower as well. Can't go wrong with either of them. I personally, although I like Seasonic, think the G2 units are a better buy. I simply like what Super Flower is doing more. Either are excellent though. The Super Flower unit might be a little quieter. For the price vs quality, I'd recommend an EVGA B2 series unit like this. Also built by Super Flower, did Silver efficiency in JonnyGuru testing, semi modular and the price difference would allow you to get a better case.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($87.28 @ Mwave)
Total: $87.28
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-19 15:41 EDT-0400

I'd definitely change the case. Deepcool cases are cheap and flimsy. Low quality. Plus, that card won't fit that case.

I'd go with something from NZXT, Fractal design, Phanteks, a higher end Corsair model (Their budget models aren't real great) or Be Quiet who has recently had some decent cases.

Solution

Ryarwood99

Reputable
Oct 26, 2014

How much of a difference would a different board make? I was thinking the NZXT H440 case.

Thank you for your reply!

That review, while ONLY being one review, showed as much as a 20FPS difference between the SLI Krait and Z97X-Gaming 5 in 3D performance. Maybe more or maybe less depending on title, but 3D performance, which is what gaming mostly is, seems to be terrible on that board according to their benchmarks. I've heard similar reports about that board from some other folks as well. Usually the board isn't highly reflective of gaming performance on it's own, aside from overclocking capability, card support etc., but on that board it seems to be.

The H440 is a very good case, but keep in mind it has no 5.25" drive bays so if you need or want an internal optical drive, it's not going to happen with that model. If you don't mind doing OS installs from USB flash drive and don't need DVD or Blu-Ray use it's great. Of course, you can always use an external optical drive as well.