R9 380 4gb future proof for 1360x768 gaming?

rnice01

Reputable
Jul 19, 2015
So my current set up is:
CPU: i5-4570 3.2 ghz
MOBO: ASRock B85M-ITX
PSU: Corsair CXM 500 watt 80 plus bronze
RAM: HyperX Fury Black 8gb DDR3 1600
GPU: wait for it..... Radeon HD 6450, yeah...

So I play all of my games on a 1360x768 native Samsung TV and don't plan on updating that any time soon, I'm perfectly happy with that resolution. But I'm in desperate need of a new GPU, my question is if buying a R9 380 4gb would future proof me for the next few years with graphics comparable to the PS4 at 60fps.

Also, is the R9 380 capable of using all 4gb of VRAM available to it? I've heard rumors that the GTX 960 4gb version can't actually take advantage of more than 2gb, is this the case with the 380?

Thanks in advance

Solution
The 380 won't be able to take full advantage of its 4gb vram either on that resolution simply because there aren't enough pixels being displayed. I can't say that card will future proof you (because nothing is ever future proof), but you should be able to max out all games for 3 years and then slowly start lowering some settings in the next few years.

As for looking as good as a PS4, it will look better and worse. Your computer will look better because it can display higher detail (use better graphics settings, etc), but look worse because of the lower resolution. Overall, it should look better than a PS4.

fudoka711

Distinguished
The 380 won't be able to take full advantage of its 4gb vram either on that resolution simply because there aren't enough pixels being displayed. I can't say that card will future proof you (because nothing is ever future proof), but you should be able to max out all games for 3 years and then slowly start lowering some settings in the next few years.

As for looking as good as a PS4, it will look better and worse. Your computer will look better because it can display higher detail (use better graphics settings, etc), but look worse because of the lower resolution. Overall, it should look better than a PS4.

Solution

stl522013

Reputable
Mar 15, 2015

Get the 4GB version. Because it is pretty much the R9 280 (if I am not mistaken) and that can use 3 GB of VRAM just fine, so get the 4GB because even if only really 3GB of that 4GB matters, it is better than 2GB, and like $10 more on Newegg.