500 dollar budget for Arma 3 PC

BrokeArma3Wanter

Reputable
Jul 20, 2015
Ever since I saw Arma 3 I instantly fell in love with the game. I don't have a very steady way to get money as I don't have a job as of now and only have 500 dollars to spend on a computer. I don't have much experience as I only own an xbox one. I really want to play Arma 3 and start a milsim, but don't know where to start with building a budget computer. I only need the settings to be on normal with the ability for it to not lag or anything while playing Arma 3. Help would gladly be appreciated!

If you can get together $50 more dollars, this will serve your needs. Just an FYI, the arma games are programmed really poorly and run very mediocre on even good systems.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor ($113.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($42.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: *Kingston Savage 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($24.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: *Hitachi Deskstar 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($39.46 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 270X 2GB Dual-X Video Card ($144.99 @ Newegg)
Case: *Fractal Design Core 1100 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: *EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($39.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive: *Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer ($13.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: *Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 OEM (64-bit) ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $539.78
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-20 17:32 EDT-0400

BrokeArma3Wanter

Reputable
Jul 20, 2015

So this will be able to run arma 3 without lag on normal settings? And all I need to buy is the monitor and this thing can run it?

yes, a monitor and mouse & keyboard are necesarry as well, but KBM is usually cheap, and a monitor is usually a secondary purchase, as digital TVs can work as well. (though they are inferior to monitors quite a bit)

BrokeArma3Wanter

Reputable
Jul 20, 2015

Alright thanks, now all I have to do is save up some more and convince my parents that I should get a PC instead of an Xbox One :\

Tell them people don't get paid to use an xbox.

BrokeArma3Wanter

Reputable
Jul 20, 2015

Hey man, I looked at a video on how to put together your computer and it seems very very confusing. I'm scared I might screw something up as I don't know if everything I need will come with the computer. I heard about thermal paste, spacers for cases so the mother board doesn't get screwed up, and special screws for the Motherboard. I'm very worried I will screw up now, and don't know if I should still try and build my computer. One is because I don't know everything I will need to help put together the computer. I know thermal paste but does that come with the cooling unit? And the special screws do they also come for the motherboard, and the spacers? I'm sorry if these are a lot of questions but I have never even tried to build a computer let alone all by myself. If you know anyway for me to take the parts somewhere to help me build it do you mind telling me?

subzero22

Reputable
Jul 25, 2015
Ya I love arma 2 even with it's glitches at times like walking on a rock and breaking your legs or making a tank fly 100 feet in the air lol. I fell in love with arma 2 and I want 3 so badly but my current pc can't handle it. I wish the best of luck to you.

BrokeArma3Wanter

Reputable
Jul 20, 2015

Well hey man, if you upgrade it/ get another pc we could play together! Just keep in touch if you are planning on getting an upgrade, I would love to be able to have someone to hang with on Arma!

BrokeArma3Wanter

Reputable
Jul 20, 2015

Also just before I end the harassment of questions, why are monitors better than TV's? (sorry if it's a dumb question, I don't know a lot about Windows/ computer as I have a crappy mac as of now) Also I heard about static wrist bands how do you use those and what do they do?

TV's typically have a very low refresh rate, like only 30mhz. That means it's capped at about 30 FPS, and they usually have really bad colors and pixel quality.

Anti-static gear, writstbands, mats, ect. is to prevent damage to electronic devices from static discharge, but it's easy to avoid that entirely without any gear if you discharge yourself by touching the computer case BEFORE touching any of the parts inside it. And also avoid things like wearing socks while walking around on carpet.

I've personally never needed any, but that's because I usually get intimate with the computer case before getting to it's insides.

MtnDerr

Reputable
Aug 4, 2015
Do you have the computer yet? If so how does it run on arma 3? I'm think about buying onjust like yours. Also Do you think I can upgrade the Intel core i3 to a Intel core i5?

Yeah, this will be better for 650: PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor ($108.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H81M-S2H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($44.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($38.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: *Hitachi Deskstar 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($38.95 @ Amazon)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 290 4GB TurboDuo Video Card ($252.98 @ Newegg)
Case: *Cougar Spike MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($28.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: *EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($34.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive: *LG GH24NSC0B DVD/CD Writer ($11.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Operating System: *Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit) ($87.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $648.36
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-09 14:06 EDT-0400

Afterwards you'd want to upgrade the CPU to in i5. An i7 isn't any better in gaming than an i5.