$700 budget game development PC

Thatguyminib

Reputable
Jul 23, 2015
Hey everyone I am trying to build a new PC for school. Right now my budget for it is $700 and I need it to run Maya 2015, unity, and UE4 smoothly, or as smooth as it can until I can upgrade. My plan is to start out with a $700 build to hold me over until I can upgrade it around early next year/ Christmas time.

Let me know if you need any more information to go off of :).
Also thanks in advance for taking the time to help me out! I really need this for school. :D

P.S I also need Windows for it :/

Solution

bsod1

Distinguished
Edited your build a bit

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor ($134.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($64.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill AEGIS 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($52.49 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: PNY Quadro K620 2GB Video Card ($159.99 @ B&H)
Case: BitFenix Neos White ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 OEM (64-bit) ($88.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $693.41
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-23 22:47 EDT-0400

Solution

datguy20

Honorable
Nov 6, 2013
The FX CPU's OC great, and I'm sure it would help a lot in a multi-threaded rendering situation, but the Evo doesn't cool the 83xx CPU's very well past 4Ghz.

Edited my first post, the build is only $10 over budget but still very overclockable.

Thatguyminib

Reputable
Jul 23, 2015
Thank you so much both of you for the quick reply's and help :) I have a couple questions.

Will these builds allow me to change allow me in the future to upgrade the CPU to an intel? From what I have heard with Maya and game engines intel seems to work better.
Will this liquid cooling have a risk of leaking? My old PC had liquid cooling and somehow it leaked out and fried the graphics card.
Also does the case come with fans itself? I tend to work on my PC for long hours and really don't want it to run too hot :)

Also forgive my newbiness of PC building XD this is basically my first time doing this. The other PC I had I went through cyberpower :p. Again thank you so much for your patience and help :) it is greatly appreciated.

datguy20

Honorable
Nov 6, 2013
You wouldn't be able to upgrade to Intel without replacing the motherboard. And while Intel may be better on the high end, I don't think it'll fit your budget. The FX-83xx CPU's are known for being quite good with multi-threaded applications versus Intel's same priced options.

There's always a risk of liquid cooling leaking, but any quality unit has a very very low chance of leakage. If I remember correctly, Cooler Master will cover a certain amount of repair/replacement if it leaks (or was it Corsair? Can't remember). Now if you aren't overclocking at all then I can change some things to save you money, but the FX processors overclock very well.

The Thermaltake Versa H22 I listed comes with 1 fan. If you're willing to spend around ~$15 more you can get cases with 2-3 fans, or get a 4-pack of budget fans for like $9. If you aren't overclocking then 1 fan will be enough (but more is still better).

Thatguyminib

Reputable
Jul 23, 2015
Ok cool! Thank you this is my first time building my own PC so its all kinda new for me.

That is good to know with the liquid cooling.

How do I go about overclocking and what does that actually do? Does it just enhance the power?

I would be willing to go $15 dollars over. I get paranoid with the possibility of overheating with how much I work and for how long I wont on a computer.

datguy20

Honorable
Nov 6, 2013
http://www.reddit.com/r/explainlikeimfive/comments/j5mf7/could_someone_please_explain_what_overclocking_is/ You increase the speed (usually done through the motherboard's BIOS), which increases heat ouptput/instability. Overclocking requires patience though, as it normally won't be stable (pc crashes, black/blue screens, etc) unless you give it enough extra voltage (but not past a deemed safe point).

So for example, that FX-8320 which runs at 3.5Ghz stock speeds (4Ghz turbo), can easily be brought up an additional 500-800mhz (on a good motherboard with proper cooling) for what is essentially free. Coupled with the fact that turbo doesn't go across every core (usually 2-4), and you have something running overall much faster. This doesn't really matter as much for gaming (because games are not usually multi-threaded well), but in multi-threaded applications like the rendering software you plan on using, each core being even 5% faster means much better performance.

If you're still uncomfortable with a potential liquid leak, you can still get decent overclocks with air, but then you have to spend a bit more. The smaller/cheaper air coolers can't handle the heat from the 8-core AMD CPU's very well.

datguy20

Honorable
Nov 6, 2013
Yes, unless you need server-level stability. For someone like you, the extra performance will be worth the little extra spent on cooling & a better motherboard.

Of course, if you got lucky and found some good Intel i7 extreme CPU on eBay for crazy cheap that might do better. Budget is budget though.