I3 vs Fx 6300 for budget gaming cpu

drsid

Reputable
Jul 18, 2015
Hi Guys

I dont have alot of pc experience, moving over from xbox 360.

I have read around and most people say use the I3 as it has better single core performance. But alot of the latest games require at least a quad core cpu to play. The I5 is out of my price range.

For casual gaming like Arkham Knight, Witcher 3, Xcom 2, Dragonage Inquisition. I will also be doing some streaming but no video editing or anything like that.

I am buying a new CPU and MOBO for this setup, pairing them with MSI R9 270X 2GB GPU. Planning on using my LG 32inch LED Tv as monitor to play at 1080p.

I really need a final answer as to what cpu to pick please.

Thanks

Solution
No it is not worth geting FX 6350. For the price difference you can invest in better mobo what is important when you have AMD CPU.

StarChief

Reputable
Jun 22, 2015
The 6300 is pretty popular, speedy cpu. It's cheap, fast and easy to overclock.

New I3 chips are hyperthreaded, so they're technically "quad cores"

I'd still buy the 6300, that thing is a trooper.

XiPH3R

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2014

get the fx 6300. it is really good for the price. 6 cores will really help you in future(when you play gta 5 with an i3 cpu usage is around 90+%) so better be on the safe side with the fx
and for the mobo get the asus m5a97 r2.0

boju

Titan
Ambassador
If an i5 quad is out of your price range then i fourth the 6300 as well. As you're aware, some games require a quad and more will be so in future, you will see better performance with the 6300 than you would with the i3 + hyperthreading where multi core games is a concern which is where the main focus is these days.

Probably if going the 6300 route, research and get the necessary cooling and a good case with decent air flow to overclock. Your 270x will be much happier if you do.

drsid

Reputable
Jul 18, 2015

Thanks everyone for giving me a definitive answer.

Im not in the states, in South Africa and tech here is limited.
Is it worth getting the FX 6350 over 6300, its not much more.

and which of these mobos should I get?
ASRock 970 Pro3 R2.0, AM3+, AMD 970 Chipset, ATX or

ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0, AM3+, AMD 970 Chipset, ATX.

Thanks

XiPH3R

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2014

if you can afford it get the fx 6350. its a little bit faster
and
get the asus m5a97. it has really good vrm cooling and will help with overclocking. the asrock has a little bad vrm cooling

drsid

Reputable
Jul 18, 2015

Ok, so I will go with the FX 6300 and ASUS M5A97 R2.0, AM3+, AMD 970 Chipset, MSI R9 270X and 8GB Ramm. If I want to get a steam controller later on, will it all work together?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, no need to spend extra for the 6350 when it is essentially just factory overclocked and not by much mind you. Can do the same thing with the 6300 and go even further.

Google 'best motherboard to overclock fx 6300' and you'll get an idea.

Overclocking isn't difficult, basically if you want, just google common settings people use to get a decent overclock. Not like you'll be flogging the cpu completely, just retaliative to what the common people are using to reach the more common levels.

Ps with a good mobo, the 6300 is an easy overclock from what i've read.

teknobug

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011

This, overclocking is necessary for AMD FX chips, you're not going to like the performance at stock clocks so get a good motherboard and at least a Coolermaster Hyper 212 cooler (Hyper T4 can be OK too), the FX 6350 draws more power which requires a more expensive motherboard and a good cooler, which will get you into the Intel i5 price range.

boju

Titan
Ambassador

The 6350 has no change in motherboard requirements such as the M5A97, it's just a higher clocked version of the 6300 so maybe you meant more PSU and better cooling.

Edit i think i might have read you wrong.

The 6350 has a 125w tdp because amd push a stupidly high stock voltage through it compared to the 6300 at 95w.

It makes the 6350 a pointless buy simply because the 6300 will hit the same speed overclocked without any voltage increase normally.

The m5a97 le is not a particularly good board ( the m5a97 r2.0 is though) & the asrock is even worse - I personally wouldnt buy either if you're even considering overclocking now or in the future.
The gigabyte 970a-ds3p is a decent budget board , the ud3p Ia one of the best.
As stated make a semi-decent aftermarket cooler a priority (especially in a fairly hot climate like SA)

FX-6350 base clock -- 3.9GHz
FX-6300 base clock -- 3.5GHz

The FX-6350 is a higher-binned chip though, as noted, it is 125w versus 95w.

The other advantage: The AMD stock 125w copper heatpipe / solid copper base cooler is much better than the cheap-arse aluminum cooler that comes with the 95w FX-6300.

^ not sure about 'much better' though - its still only just about capable & they all come with the same godawful whiney little 4000rpm 80mm fan.
Dont think the 6350 has any kind of binning process over the 6300 - its EXACTLY the same chip with a slightly higher base clock & a much overvolted stock voltage just to err on the safe side of stability.

Id be as likely to buy a 6350 over a 6300 as a 8350 over a 8320 (which is not at all).

Id go the lower clocked chips with a $20 aftermarket cooler for the same outlay as the higher clocked chip with the stock cooler as you'll end up with a cooler & quieter setup.

drsid

Reputable
Jul 18, 2015

I'm buying mostly from a local site. www.rebeltech.co.za. If you find something on the site, I can shop around a little.

Budget is around R1600. Can put in a little more if it's really gonna make a difference. I am buying a cooler master 212 CPU cooler aswell.

st3v30

Admirable
He wrote ASUS M5A97 R2.0, AM3+, AMD 970 Chipset

for the same price you can get

MSI 970A SLI Krait, AM3+, AMD 970, ATX

or

MSI 970 GAMING, AM3+, AMD 970 Chipset, ATX

Both are bit better then ASUS one and look much better.

^ the le was mentioned originally & is named a little too closely for comfort (Asus deserve a smack on the wrist for that)

The asrock looks good on paper but 4+1 power phase & a huge amount of negative reviews would put me off - its an unproven board IMO.
The msi gaming is only better for the sli capability IMO -its a good board & all admittedly.
call me a fanboy but I ultimately trust Asus component & build quality far more than I do msi (they've been having a very sketchy run on that front lately)

Edit - only just noticed the msi krait - does look good - no reviews anywhere though at the moment.

drsid

Reputable
Jul 18, 2015

Im getting a little confused now as to what mobo to buy. All same price

Option 1: ASUS M5A97 R2.0, AM3+, AMD 970 Chipset, ATX
Option 2: MSI 970 GAMING, AM3+, AMD 970 Chipset, ATX
Option 3: MSI 970A SLI Krait, AM3+, AMD 970, ATX

The PC is used for gaming and streaming media. Its going to be in my tv room. Asus has a feature that lets you control your pc wirelessly from your phone app. Then wont need to buy apple tv or similar. Is that right?

You can control your PC with your phone via 3rd party software anyway ( I installed kodi & yatse andeoid phone app for media playback /streaming as win 8.1 lacks media center)
I would side with the Asus although the msi gaming does admittedly have a nicer color scheme if it bothers you- they are both good boards -