The R9 390 Can run on a 600W 80+ bronze PSU with an FX 6300 OC’d

dannyh17

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2012
Just wanted to put this out there because I’m quite certain that there are/will be many people who might be in the same situation as I was when upgrading the GPU in their rigs. I had made my decision on buying the AMD R9 390 MSI version in regards to upgrading from my R9 270x. Now the current power supply that I am using is an EVGA 600B 80+ bronze PSU. It’s a very good PSU for budget builds. Also in my build there is an FX 6300 with that has been OC’d to 4.3GHz with the voltage increased by 0.1. Many people suggested (even MSI’s box) that the power supply for this card should 750W minimum. I can say that this is not necessary as I have a perfectly stable R9 390 running in this configuration. I had ran a perfectly stable test of FireStrike benchmark and it ran without any problems. Yes, there might be slight bottleneck but not enough to hinder the performance to bother me at all. I play on 1080p resolution monitor with a 60Hz refresh rate. Therefore I don’t require the GPU to hit triple digits FPS as I will be limiting the fps to 60 only. Sometime in the near future I will most likely upgrade the PSU along with the CPU to have a secure configuration, which will happen when I decide to upgrade to higher resolution and really need the best out of my GPU. Really glad this worked out.

Link to Benchmark picture.
http://imgur.com/yfYcqVI

Solution
Should be fine for a while, but 600Watts with an overclocked FX 6300 is pushing the PSU hard with the system fully loaded so I suggest you don't overclock the R9 390...Yet ;) .
Sounds like you have a good plan, power supplies lose output over time so the sooner you can upgrade to a stronger unit the better but if you do start to get random crashes or instability in the meantime it could be a sign that the PSU is struggling and needs to be replaced/upgraded sooner rather than later.
Those PSU requirements are usually inflated to account for the huge number of poor quality parts in service out there but most units give their best efficiency at 50-70% load so a good quality 700-750Watt unit would actually be the best choice if you want to...

KKAW

Admirable

Would recommend a 650W Tier 2 atleast PSU especially if you are doing any overclocking.
The 600W will likely face problems in the future or right away.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

You unit is good, problem is you really need a quality 650w minimum with that cpu + gpu combo.

You will reduce that psu's life, especially overclocking anything.

KKAW

Admirable

There is no evidence that overclocking your CPU or GPU decreases the lifespan of your PSU. Matter of fact there is no logical reasoning behind it as long as you have a quality PSU with the Wattage recommendation met.

Should be fine for a while, but 600Watts with an overclocked FX 6300 is pushing the PSU hard with the system fully loaded so I suggest you don't overclock the R9 390...Yet ;) .
Sounds like you have a good plan, power supplies lose output over time so the sooner you can upgrade to a stronger unit the better but if you do start to get random crashes or instability in the meantime it could be a sign that the PSU is struggling and needs to be replaced/upgraded sooner rather than later.
Those PSU requirements are usually inflated to account for the huge number of poor quality parts in service out there but most units give their best efficiency at 50-70% load so a good quality 700-750Watt unit would actually be the best choice if you want to cut your power bills to the bone.

Solution

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

Of course there is a logical reason, while the unit is good he is overtaxing it.

You do know 390's have massive power spikes right? A overclocked 6300 is no dainty power sipper either.

Wear and tear on the capacitors etc.

A 390 is just an overclocked 290, so their power draw should be similar.

00-Power-Consumption-R9-290-Accelero-XIII-OC.png

dannyh17

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2012
Got some pretty interesting responses. I know that the R9 390 is an over clocked 290 but I believe AMD said they designed the card to perform efficiently compared to the R9 290. Also using the CCC I have locked the cards FPS to only 60 since my screen is only 60Hz so anything above that gives me some really bad screen tearing which I can't stand. Should help the card run without using too much of its power. I actually haven't really been playing demanding games. Mostly playing ESO right now.
Also I'm in the midst of selling my older GPUs so once I get ride of those Ill probably use the money and order one of these.

http://m.newegg.ca/Product/index?itemnumber=17-438-018