Looking for a $200 - $400 graphics card for a 500 watt psu

Stoneybruh

Reputable
Jul 25, 2015
I am looking into getting a good gpu, but most of the ones I have looked into will require me to upgrade my psu. I do not mind upgrading the psu but I would like to know if there are any good graphics cards that do not use many watts. I have an i5 4440 and I mainly play fps games.

Solution
What is the model of your current power supply? Just because it's label says it's 500w, doesn't mean it can or is likely to be able to sustain that. Unless your current PSU is a good quality unit, I'd do this instead.:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC ACX 2.0 Video Card ($326.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Antec Neo Eco 620W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $391.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-25 02:56 EDT-0400

Knowing the model of your current PSU, and what resolution you'll be gaming at would help.
What is the model of your current power supply? Just because it's label says it's 500w, doesn't mean it can or is likely to be able to sustain that. Unless your current PSU is a good quality unit, I'd do this instead.:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC ACX 2.0 Video Card ($326.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Antec Neo Eco 620W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $391.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-25 02:56 EDT-0400

Knowing the model of your current PSU, and what resolution you'll be gaming at would help.

Solution

turbopixel

Reputable
May 18, 2015
I even run for three weeks long a GTX 970 with a 400 W psu. Offcourse not recommended, but that shows the 500 W is enough. And even if the quality of psu is mid or low, it would most likely be enough. Important is the 12 V rail on your psu. The GTX 970 is very good card in your price range and performs very well. I recommend it too.

While that MAY be true, running a high end graphics card on a low end PSU is NOT recommended. More often than not the result is having to replace the PSU anyhow when you find it does not work right, or, damage to the PSU and graphics card from the use of a unit that shouldn't have been paired with the card in the first place.

soldier5637

Distinguished
May 7, 2013
Get it off of it NOW! Trust me, I JUST finsihed with that nightmare 430 watt PSU giving out on my PC (970 in it). It screwed it ROYALLY and i'm very lucky that it didnt blow a component out. And no, if the quality is low it is not enough. Shortly after you buy it chances are good it will give out way less than 500 and maybe less than 400.

turbopixel

Reputable
May 18, 2015
As I said, the 12 V rail was strong enough and the whole system needs less than 400 W and the parts of the psu was good quality, at least not bad. For my part, it was just until I got a new one. Now, I use 650 W. I mean, if you really know what you are doing, then a 500 W psu can be enough. Even Nvidia says 500 W is enough for the GTX 970, and they assume a low quality psu.

> http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-970/specifications
> http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-geforce-gtx-970-specifications,28464.html

My thread when I was buying a new psu:
> http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2663326/psu-super-flower-sea-sonic-500-660-platinum-gold-fanless-semi-decide.html

Again, that MAY be true, but if your card spikes outside of spec, which happens OFTEN enough, you might really be in for a ride in the hurt machine if you have a low quality unit with little or no protections. Even a decent quality unit that's underpowered or doesn't do well in the hot box might take a big dump on your graphics card.