r9 390 BSOD

kas110

Reputable
Feb 11, 2015
First my Specs:
FX-6300 (Was OC'd but now stock this was the first thing I tried)
MSI R9 390
8GB Ballistx Ram
USB 3.0 GA-LMT78 Gigabyte Motherboard
CM 212 EVO Cooler
EVGA Supernova B2 750W

So, I keep getting BSOD when gaming, however it all seems to relate to GTA V. As long as I don't touch that, everything runs smoothly. As soon as I play GTA V, randomly, without warning. I can get BSOD, with Atikmpag.sys, or sometimes with just a 124 STOP code. Sometimes I even just crash to desktop with a failed to initialize error. When this happens, If I try to play any game, I get the Atikmpag.sys BSOD straight away. I have tried many of the fixes around relating to all of these errors. Expanding Atikmpag.sys, Taking off my Overclock, Updating Video Drivers. Running GTA on lower settings. And its drove me mad :( So my current fix is to never play GTA V again, which seems to work (I have got another BSOD, on minecraft, but this could of been a voltage problem, due to the fact I was hosting a server, and it was heavily modified and putting a lot of strain on my rather old CPU) However this is rather annoying as GTA was one of the main reasons I got this GPU. (Because when it does work, it powers through all my games, including GTA with high FPS) So, yea...... anybody got any ideas? Thanks.

azca

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
first of all 980ti costs 2x as much as R9 390

second of all, how do you know his problem has anything to do with his GPU and not some other component like his power supply, or cpu overheating, or bad ram, or bad windows install etc? get a brain before you bash AMD for no reason

kas110

Reputable
Feb 11, 2015

I have tried reinstalling my graphics drivers, but not GTA. And yes my GTA is a Steam copy, not pirated.

kas110

Reputable
Feb 11, 2015

I have tested stability, although not with that program. I used AIDA64, and just for an hour. But everything seemed fine.

kas110

Reputable
Feb 11, 2015
Simply used DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) In Safe mode. Installed the current stable drivers. And bang, I can enjoy GTA again :D (Turns out my PC also BSOD on other intense games, not just GTA. I just never tried them, So it wasn't GTA, but rather GPU Intensive Games)

micbael

Honorable
Jan 15, 2014

I'm having the same exact problem, may I ask what driver version fixed it for you? Because I'd like to downgrade to that one.