My 980 ti gets low gpu and power usage!

MadMorigan

Reputable
Nov 24, 2014
When I first got my zotac amp extreme, I ran it through some benchmarks and it tested extremely well + overclocks very high + stable and has a good ASIC and etc.

However, for some games such as Witcher 3, I am getting normal/good usage out of the gpu at 90%+ in Afterburner. However, in games such as GTA V, Company of Heroes 2, Rome 2+ Attila Total War I am getting crazy power+gpu usage numbers that fluctuate around 30-60% power AND gpu usage while my CPU averages around 65-70%. It's ridiculous, this gpu should be running @close to 100% in most games and be getting as good a framerates a my previous sli-970's. My temps are also extremely good, card seldom passes 65C when gaming (have plenty of air cooling around card) and my CPU is not a bottleneck (i don't think...)

Here's what I've done to try +fix this problem:
Removed CPU overclocks, tried running at stock clocks (this actually fixed a crash I kept getting in the total war games)
removed previous GPU overclocks,
uninstalled + reinstalled GeForce Experience + tried two seperate drivers + a hotfix; used DDU + did clean install of the whole nvidia GFE + drivers
also installed Win 10 in the hopes that it was software related
completely reseated gpu, replaced pci cables, tried other pci express inserts in my hx750 power supply to no avail

system worked GREAT with my previous sli -970's

I am completely stumped on what it could be. I don't understand why it runs so well in certain games and in others like the ones above, it can barely keep up performance with a single OC'd 970. I turn to you guys, hopefully I missed something but if not I will have to RMA this beautiful card for the power issue

specs:
4690k w/oc 4.5 ghz
cm hypoevo 212
MSI gd65 z87 mobo
zotac amp extreme 980 ti
16gb ddr3 g.skill @1600
Corsair HX750
Upgraded from Win7 to Win10 last night

f0mW3uCbj

more pics:
https://imageshack.com/i/f0mW3uCbj

Solution

That's after you tried it, by turning it off , correct?

With VSync on, you're limiting your FPS to 60 (or the refresh rate of your monitor). So with it on, your GPU doesn't work as hard as it does when the FPS is unlimited and goes above 60. Adaptive VSync on is one way people actually try to limit their GPU and power usage, which also results in less heat and noise.

MadMorigan

Reputable
Nov 24, 2014
in benchmarks for ALL games, it test very well, however, during actual use here is what i'm seeing:
fps for attila custom battles @1440p: fluctuates between 15-60fps (w/vsync on, w/o it tears) so ave is around 30, rome is a little better between 20-60 and this is with semi-large armies
I don't know about cpu being a bottleneck because my sli-970's could run all these games without those terrible min fps and with larger armies

COH2 is worse performance i think because it only gets around 40fps and it has no sli support and it matches what a single oc 970 did; should be seeing way bigger increase here. GPU problem is worse in this game, around 30% gpu + power usage (they fluctuate wildly here)

Your GTX980ti seems to be highly overclocked.
Perhaps it is throttling for some reason.

I suspect that something occurs during actual gaming that does not happen with a benchmark.
Perhaps something like game saves/checkpoints.
Are you using a ssd?

That's after you tried it, by turning it off , correct?

With VSync on, you're limiting your FPS to 60 (or the refresh rate of your monitor). So with it on, your GPU doesn't work as hard as it does when the FPS is unlimited and goes above 60. Adaptive VSync on is one way people actually try to limit their GPU and power usage, which also results in less heat and noise.

Solution
If you're using VSync on an Nvidia card, ALWAYS use Adaptive VSync.

Half refresh rate is for people who have 144 or 120 Hz monitors, so they can limit their FPS to half that, 72 or 60. But that's only for specific reasons to limit the FPS. Normally you want to get that FPS as high as possible with VSync on.

So are you experimenting with turning it off? Or was that already ruled out?

MadMorigan

Reputable
Nov 24, 2014
i turned it off during benchmarks but I play with it on during gaming because I hate screen tearing.
If I turn adaptive vsync on in nvidia control panel, do I have to turn it on in in-game settings? Some only have vsync on/off as an option
I will try it out the vsync prob in a couple of hours and let you know.

MadMorigan

Reputable
Nov 24, 2014
Update:
okay, so i uploaded some screenshots to give you a better idea of what is happening under the initial question. adaptive vsync increases the power/gpu usage somewhat but is still pretty bad. If you look at the graph, the gpu usage is very low, erratic and inconsistent. Adaptive vsync helped a lot more in COH2
Hopefully this helps, i created an imageshack just for those screenshots lol