Solved Closed

Black screen on boot after installing AMD drivers

I've done a fresh install of Windows 7 on my laptop today, but every time I try to install the drivers for my graphics card, I just get a black screen as soon as Windows starts booting up. Everything else works fine, it's just not displaying anything. Restoring the system to the point before the drivers were installed fixes the problem, but then of course I can't use my graphics card without drivers. The whole thing was working just fine before the reinstall and I don't have any old drivers left on the system since it's a fresh install.

Any idea what might be causing this and, more importantly, how to fix it?

OS: Windows 7 64-bit
Laptop: Asus X77J
Graphics card: Mobility Radeon HD 5730
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about black screen boot installing amd drivers
  1. Which drivers? 15.7.1?
  2. vlxedits said:
    Which drivers? 15.7.1?

    Yes.

    noidea_77 said:

    Thanks, I'll have a look and see if that fixes things.
  3. Try using 15.6 if that other link didnt help.
  4. noidea_77 said:

    I had a look at this, but I don't know what Intel driver to download, since the device manager just says "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter" and not some Intel card.

    vlxedits said:
    Try using 15.6 if that other link didnt help.

    I tried this, but the result was the same. Windows starts to boot up and then the screen just goes black.
  5. Does anyone have any ideas?
  6. Best answer
    Aargh said:
    Does anyone have any ideas?

    Try the driver from www.asus.com. Enter the exact model and search for the driver for your os. Looks like there are several different x77j models.
  7. noidea_77 said:
    Aargh said:
    Does anyone have any ideas?

    Try the driver from www.asus.com. Enter the exact model and search for the driver for your os. Looks like there are several different x77j models.

    It's funny how you can sometimes completely miss a simple solution. Thanks for the advice, getting the drivers from the Asus site worked perfectly.
  8. Here is the letter I sent to Asus after downloading the latest AMD drivers and getting a black screen. I can solve most PC issues but the solution to this one eluded me. I have an N71JQ running win 7 64. Graphics card is ATI mobility Radeon HD5730

    You will note from the response of Asus that
    1. They are well aware of the problem
    2. The latest driver from AMD is incompatible with the graphics card issued by AMD and installed in the model of ASUS in question
    3. Asus and I'm sure AMD are not going to do a thing to rectify the matter because the system is "too old".
    4. 5 years means that a formerly top of the line multimedia notebook is considered obsolete to the point where the principle manufacturers could not be bothered to write upgrades to the software, which is entirely unacceptable.

    I bought this notebook second hand specifically to edit video in Adobe Premiere. I've
    spent money to upgrade the hard drive and Ram. Won't run Premiere or Sony Vegas.
    Open GL drivers out of date etc. I'm running the latest driver off your site but that
    seems to be old. The newest driver (15.10) on the AMD site installs and makes my
    computer screen black. Have to go to safe mode and reinstall useless driver. What a
    nightmare! I have IT degree and even I can't sort this mess out.
    Why don't you work with AMD to support this product? I'm not alone. All the forums are
    full of people complaining about black screen issue with ATI mobility radeon
    HD5730. Please fix this!

    This was the answer I got

    Thank you for contacting ASUS and providing your feedback. I am sorry that the model is a little old. So the driver has not further update. And we do not suggest you to update the new vga driver on AMD official website. It may has compatible problem, because the AMD card driver on the laptop is special. And it may have compatible problem. Thanks for your understanding. What's more, the information you provided has been documented and forwarded to the appropriate contacts for further review and improvement.

    Would you mind taking your product to our local service center for comprehensive inspection and help you to fix the problem? If you do not mind, please try to contact our local service center for the process.
    The following is the contact information:
    http://www.asus.com/support/Service-Center-All-Countries/
    Also you can call the local service center for help. The following is the contact information:
    http://www.asus.com/support/CallUs#
  9. Aargh said:
    I've done a fresh install of Windows 7 on my laptop today, but every time I try to install the drivers for my graphics card, I just get a black screen as soon as Windows starts booting up. Everything else works fine, it's just not displaying anything. Restoring the system to the point before the drivers were installed fixes the problem, but then of course I can't use my graphics card without drivers. The whole thing was working just fine before the reinstall and I don't have any old drivers left on the system since it's a fresh install.

    Any idea what might be causing this and, more importantly, how to fix it?

    OS: Windows 7 64-bit
    Laptop: Asus X77J
    Graphics card: Mobility Radeon HD 5730


    A fix for laptops black screen issue after updates:
    Go to Registry Editor (in the search type "regedit.exe")

    Go to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0000

    Next, find or create DWORD32 with the name:
    MD_EnableBrightnesslf2
    KMD_EnableBrightnessInterface2

    Set both to 0.
    In Device Manager, disable your video adapter (Your graphics card) and re-enable it.

    Retest your LCD brightness settings with FN keys or from Power Options in Control Panel.
    This worked for me with the latest Crimson 2016 years driver for Radeon HD 6370M in Windows 7

    If you could not see anything and edit registry because of the black screen - try HDMI connection, if that's not working try to boot in safe mode and then configure the registry.

    Method was suggested in AMD forums by
    hiigara​

    And edited by me, Mindaugas92
Ask a new question

Read More

Drivers Laptops Mobility Radeon Asus Windows 7 Graphics Cards