i5 4440 + R9 270 VS FX 6300 + GTX 960

Beggelton

Honorable
Jun 23, 2013
Making a new PC and my budget stretches to these two options. Not my first build, I know a lot about the tech, I just want a second opinion about this one :)

I've always read that a weaker CPU + better GPU is better for gaming than a better CPU + worse GPU.

The i5 won't need upgrading for w hile, but the FX might (it's so weak in comparison). But if I were to buy the FX now it might not be worth it because AMD say they're discontinuing the AM3+ series. So this points to an i5.

However, the GTX 960 blows the R9 270 out of the water in every way (and rightly so- it is more expensive).

While I am leaning towards the FX build, do you guys think that the i5 build would be a better idea?

Note: strict budget; the only compromise I can make is swapping the FX for any i3 (but that wouldn't be worth it for 4 threads, 2 cores, surely?)

Will be playing games like DayZ, Rust, GTA 5, Zombi, No Man's Sky and all other future blockbusters

Solution
FX 6300 will do fine in most games, and DX12 will make it shine, but even without it, it's a nice CPU for the price that gets 60fps in most games, especially if you overclock it.

The i3 is also a good choice, but falls behind in some multithreaded games, but it still scores well above 60fps in most games too. Also, you can get an i7 for that socket later on.

KKAW

Admirable

The FX is simply a terrible option at this point because of the terribly old architecture with no upgrade path.

My Recommendation:
i3 4170 + R9 270X or R9 285 or GTX 960

However waiting for the i3 of Skylake is also an excellent option.

Creme

Reputable
Aug 4, 2014
FX 6300 will do fine in most games, and DX12 will make it shine, but even without it, it's a nice CPU for the price that gets 60fps in most games, especially if you overclock it.

The i3 is also a good choice, but falls behind in some multithreaded games, but it still scores well above 60fps in most games too. Also, you can get an i7 for that socket later on.

Solution

KKAW

Admirable

i3 4170 does better than the FX 6300 or a matter of fact the FX 6350.

Beggelton

Honorable
Jun 23, 2013
Thnx for the help guys
There may not be an upgrade path, but shouldn't the FX do fine for a few years? Till then he'll have money to upgrade a new mobo and CPU
This is a build for a friend so there are no old parts I can sell.

Knew this topic would be debated. He doesn't want used parts (bit of a PC noob and scared of the word "used") ahah.
Any other info? Thanks again <3