Why 770 drivers crashing during heavy load?

billy111

Reputable
Aug 4, 2015
Hey, under max load my drivers keep crashing and restarting.
Is this just a problem under max load or is it something else?
I don't know too much but it doesn't seem to be over heating.
Memory is capping out could be another thing?
Is there anything to do but just lower the settings?
http://i.imgur.com/8B7akDR.png
Site won't let me post images but this is the maxed out settings.

I heard somebody saying this had something to do with memory speed

"I have solved the same problem with my xfx GTX 295 under windows 8.1. I have lost a much of time to understand the cause but at the end i have understood. I think many people have che same problem and can solve in my mode. If you execute the windows tool dxdiag you can see that your video memory is higher than the memory installed on your video card. This is because windows add to video card memory some amount of system memory. In my case i have 894MB * 2 = about 1,7 GB of video memory but dxdiag reports i having more than 3GB available for video memory. Now the clock of the video memory of the my GTX295 is about 1008 * 2 = 2016 MHZ but the clock of my system memory is 1600 MHZ. When i play massive 3d game, for example Dark Souls, until the game graphics load into the video memory i can play without problems, but when in some more complex parts of the game the graphics is loaded also into the system memory then the different clock between the two types of memory cause a memory error and the video driver stop to work and i have a black screen.. To solve this problem i nave installed MSI Afterburner and slowing down the clock of the memory of my video card from 1008MHZ to 800MHZ. in this mode the video memory clock become 800*2= 1600MHZ in the same mode of my system memory and the game stop to crash."

Is this true?

billy111

Reputable
Aug 4, 2015

Not using latest but I've tried with multiple different version of the drivers and they all crash.
Running Win7, 750 Watt PSU
i5 2500k @ stock
And 8GB of DDR3 1333

billy111

Reputable
Aug 4, 2015

Temps seem fine, around 70, nowhere near enough to be causing problems.
It happens more often under games with higher loads.

zephyrrct

Reputable
Jul 19, 2015
I'm currently facing a similar problem with my GTX 660, but it's only occuring on Windows 10. I would get an error that said "Nvidia driver 353.62 has stopped responding and recovered", but it still freezes whatever game I was in. I installed an old GT 610 card I had on a shelf, and it works perfectly with the same drivers, so I concluded something happened to the card during the W8-W10 upgrade. I contacted EVGA support and they're in the process of sending me a new card.

Use DDU (google it, it'll be the top result) to thoroughly uninstall your graphics card drivers, and maybe switch your GPU to another PCIe port (if you have a second one). If you have some other Nvidia card lying around, try using that to see if the problem occurs with it too.