$500 Gaming Build (Canadian)

ThymeForJamez

Reputable
Jul 28, 2015
I would like to build a Gaming Pc on a $500 budget, I want it to be able to play modern games (GTA, Assasins creed, Etc..) on medium+ graphics. I've watched plenty of videos, listing simple builds for this budget, however I am buying from Canada. The prices in Canada are a lot more expensive, and none of them can compete with the prices listed in these "Console killer" videos. I would really appreciate it, if someone could list off a build, with prices (and shipping fees), below. Thanks!

Solution

The main difference will be with the CPU as the GPU is the same. Regarding the X4 vs the Pentium... the Pentium has much greater performance in single threaded applications, and in multi-threaded apps they both perform very similarly with a slight edge going to the AMD CPU. Both of these CPUs should ideally be overclocked to let them stretch their legs and you will be happy with either for an entry level gaming setup. If you end up with the AMD setup, it will respond well to higher frequency modules so look toward DDR3-2133 or...
I would get this

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor ($92.99 @ NCIX)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A68HM-DS2H Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard ($54.00 @ Vuugo)
Memory: GeIL EVO POTENZA 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($53.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($56.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Video Card: Asus Radeon R7 260X 2GB Video Card ($132.50 @ Vuugo)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ NCIX)
Power Supply: Antec Green 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($65.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $491.44
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-07 10:35 EDT-0400

ThymeForJamez

Reputable
Jul 28, 2015
Thanks for the quick responses! Out of the two presented builds, I think I'm going with Turbopiki's. How well do you think this pc could play modern games though? What FPS and settings could I expect?

The main difference will be with the CPU as the GPU is the same. Regarding the X4 vs the Pentium... the Pentium has much greater performance in single threaded applications, and in multi-threaded apps they both perform very similarly with a slight edge going to the AMD CPU. Both of these CPUs should ideally be overclocked to let them stretch their legs and you will be happy with either for an entry level gaming setup. If you end up with the AMD setup, it will respond well to higher frequency modules so look toward DDR3-2133 or higher modules. Also of note, the Intel build would have a greater upgrade potential with an i3, i5, i7 or Xeon. The FM2 platform is all but maxed out from a CPU perspective with the 860k.

Solution