FX 8320 overheating

Nikita Kress

Reputable
Aug 9, 2015
I have FX 8320 Black Edition and it is hot as hell. When idle it is 30-50 C, and during load it goes full 60 (and above) with cooler going full speed which is making me insane, since it is really loud. Today I replace thermopaste but nothing changed, temps are the same. It is pretty hot outside, so this might influence a bit, but it i just that — a bit. My motherboard, if that helps, is GA-970A-DS3P from gigabyte.

CDdude55

Distinguished
Make sure the heatsink is fully attachment to the board and sitting on the CPU. Also maybe take a look at the CPU usage as well, you could be running programs in the background that are eating up cycles and heating things up. Keep in mind though that the FX series tend to run naturally hot, they aren't the most efficient of chips.

kanewolf

Titan
Use AMD Overdrive software for monitoring. It will display the "thermal headroom" -- how much hotter the CPU can get without a problem. If you have at least 10C headroom you are OK for temps. The noise can probably only be cured by changing your cooler.

Nikita Kress

Reputable
Aug 9, 2015

Heatsink is fully attached, since there is a lock on it (the one with a lever that you need to switch to take it off). Yeah, I check CPU usage always, if something happens I block some of the cores for games, but that doesn't influence temperature much (5-6 degrees). And I do realize, that they are naturally hot, but their max temp is around 60, so this bugs me a lot.