i5 4590 with msi gtx 970 or nitro/msi r9 390

senpaikiller9

Reputable
Aug 2, 2015
I will be buying seasonic 620 watt psu so I dont know if it will be enough but 390 is a bit more expensive but not by much. So which one should I go with, I wanna play all games on high/ultra 1080p for 3 more years.
Thanks for answers in advance!

Solution
yes the psu will have enough power to run a r9 390 you will be lucky to be playing games at high/ultra for the next year never mind in 3.

some new titles are already pushing the envelop on hardware with 1 game i know of requiring 6 gig vram to max out(lords of the fallen). although when i set it to ultra i couldnt tell the difference between that and high. @1080p other than my framerate dropped to 1frame per 3 seconds.
its starting to look like you wont get ultra settings unless your running 4k screens and triple high end gpu setups. which is ludicrous for making profits.

max settings is about to become very confusing for some gamers. as max settings on 1080p will require way less resources than max settings at 2k/4k

yes the psu will have enough power to run a r9 390 you will be lucky to be playing games at high/ultra for the next year never mind in 3.

some new titles are already pushing the envelop on hardware with 1 game i know of requiring 6 gig vram to max out(lords of the fallen). although when i set it to ultra i couldnt tell the difference between that and high. @1080p other than my framerate dropped to 1frame per 3 seconds.
its starting to look like you wont get ultra settings unless your running 4k screens and triple high end gpu setups. which is ludicrous for making profits.

max settings is about to become very confusing for some gamers. as max settings on 1080p will require way less resources than max settings at 2k/4k

Solution

senpaikiller9

Reputable
Aug 2, 2015

Yeah,but what about the amd drivers are they still crap now? And will the nitro version fit in cooler master cm 690 III?

senpaikiller9

Reputable
Aug 2, 2015
HEXiT(thank you for your answer) so which one should I go with?
Did AMD fix their driver issue?
And are you sure that I'll be able to play every game on high settings for 3 yrs even with the gtx 970?

Both latest drivers from AMD and Nvidia have problems. Yes the nitro will fit in that case.

senpaikiller9

Reputable
Aug 2, 2015

So which one would you go with? I really dont know I'm so confused everybody now recommends r9 390 cuz of that massive 8gb vram and gtx 970 has 3.5gb so yeah.. Also I heard that most of the games are optimized for nvidia cards so idk rly..

They trade blows equally at 1080p. It depends on what games you play more with, AMD optimised or Nvidia optimised. The R9 390 will pull ahead in games at higher resolution than 1080p and can play in 4K. In my opinion, I would go with the cheaper GTX 970.

its hard to say. gtav pretty much crumples the gtx 970 at max settings with x4 aa as that requires 3.8gig of vram to do.
the r9 390 would have no such issue.

lords of the fallen is the first title ive seen that required 6gig of vram for ultra settings but i cant see it becoming the norm any time soon for most games. as most gamers are 1 card users and the uptake to 1440p+ is pretty slow as the hardware is pretty expencive.
that and the fact the ps4 and xbox seem to be having issues when more than 3gig of vram is being used. so games that are deved on console but are multiplatform will likely run near maxed out for the next few years at least.

pc dev'd titles though may well end up going beyond 4 gigs pretty quickly. so the extra vram on the 390 will give it a lead over the 970.
note* this is speculation on my part based on my past knowledge of game development..

as for amd's driver issues. i was using amd for the last 5 years up until about 6 weeks ago when i replaced my hd 5870 with a gtx 970. in that time i had very little to grumble about as far as driver support went.