Fx 9590 liqued cooling (HELP NEEDED)

HaizRail007

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2015
Hello, and I'm here trying to reach out for answers to a problem I'm having. You see my pc is getting a lot hotter than I'd like and I don't know how to fix it.

Here Are My Specs

Cpu Amd Fx 9590
Memory 32gb 1866mhz 1.2 to 1.3volt ddr 3
case fans three 200mm, one 230mm, one 140
cpu fans 2 noturas 140mm 3000rpm
graphics card gtx 980 FTW
motherboard saber tooth 990fx R 2.0
closed water cooling loop corsair h110
1 lamptron fc 5 fan controller
case Half x coolermaster.

Ok now that my computer specs are out of the way let me explain whats happening. my computer is overheating, at idle temps the cpu is around 40c and under 1/4 load it reaches temps of 50 to 60c

I know this isn't normal even for this dud of a cpu.

I'm not sure what to do? I think I need to install a custom water loop but I don't know the first thing in making it happen. I will tell you what I know.

In order to get the h110 in the top of the half x I had to mod it. what I done was I took 2 peaces metal and I pop riveted them in place to make the mounting brackets for the rad. I do not like this because I feel it's causing heat to stay in the case. Furthermore, I've been reading up on rads and what I've found out is more FPI the rad has the more heat is removed. Now with that said the h110 has 26 FPI and I feel this is not enough.

Now what I want to do is this, I would like to put a 140mm in the rear of the case and create a push pull configuration. I have been looking at this rad from frozen cpu.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/10199/ex-rad-176/Koolance_Single_140mm_Copper_High_Flow_Radiator_-_Black_HX-CU1401V_No_Nozzles_.html?tl=g30c95s929

it says it has 30FPI so will the rad work with the amd fx 9590? Not even the larger and wider rads goes beyond 30fpi from what I can tell from frozencpu.

Furthermore , and I was thinking of this pump and resv combo

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/14648/ex-res-333/Koolance_RP-452X2_Dual_525_Reservoir_Rev_20_Serial_or_Parallel_w_Dual_D5_Variable_Speed_Pump_Installed.html?tl=g30c97s152

would this pump cool the cpu better or will it make no difference. and do they make this in a single instead of a dual. If so where can I find one. also would a 140mm cool both the cpu and gpu if I wanted to cool the graphics card with liquid at a later date.

and for a water block I was thinking of this one

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/17068/ex-blc-1225/EK_Supremacy_ELITE_CPU_Liquid_Cooling_Block_-_Full_Nickel_-_Socket_AMD_w_Indigo_Xtreme_EK-Supremacy_Elite_-_AMD.html?tl=g30c325s842

and I also need to know do they make a non conductive liquid like antifreeze that cools better than distilled water. and if they do where to obtain it.

I'm new to water cooling and I need to know how to fix this problem. and cheaper options would be great as well.

Solution
Did you use the same cooler on 8150 and it was working good ?
or did you use any custom fan RPM for your cooler ?
You maybe running low fan RPM which is why you are high on temps
or running high vcore volts (in bios) which is maybe why you are on high heat
I mean even the stock water cooler (antec KÜHLER H2O 920) which comes which the 9590/9370 is weaker than your cooler

So it is narrowed down to these :

--- Wrong installing of the thermal paste or the cooler (thermal paste comes pre-applied in the h110 by the way , so If you applied more then there must be excess amount of it on the CPU now).
--- Need higher fan RPM
--- Need lower voltages

Do these :

Take off your cooler , clean the radiator and remove the old thermal paste from...

ZENprime

Reputable
Jul 2, 2015

HaizRail007

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2015
Yes I applied a pea size amount of thermal paste and I updated the bios to the latest version. I'm confused at whats going on. I have to keep the room that it's in 68 or below depending on the temperatures out side. I'm wondering if a custom loop will fix it, and if so what to go with. I've had only problems with this cpu and I reget getting rid of my 8150.

ZENprime

Reputable
Jul 2, 2015
Vcore is the volts the cpu gets lowering it means less heat from the cpu
however if it is two low you will not be able to run the cpu , some people reduce the stock Vcore a little to reduce heat and temps

You probably mean that the core temp is 36 and the socket temp is 43
max safe is 72 socket 61 core

ZENprime

Reputable
Jul 2, 2015
LinX and Prime95 and ADIA64

Do a blend test in Prime95 (15-30 mins) and monitor temps will testing with AMD overdrive or BIOS temps
You will notice 100% load on all cores and you may hear the cooler since it will increase the fans RPM much .

Once you feel you are safe and you do not want to go with lower Vcore do (optional) an ADIA64 stability test (8 hours) . WARING IT IS NOT SAFE TO RUN A HUGE LOAD FOR THAT LONG - DO IT ON YOUR RESPONSIBILITY

HaizRail007

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2015
the v core temp values I've never seen go past 55 on neither core. But the cpu temps have been up to 60c when I have checked. the computer has randomly frozen, restarted, halted. random blue screens. I've tested the memory with mem test everything checks ok. The only two things I can think of is cpu overheating or motherboard failure and a combo of both resulting in heat.

ZENprime

Reputable
Jul 2, 2015
55 on core / 60 on socket is safe
It maybe your motherboard ; however the sabertooth r2.0 is a great board which can handle the 9590

Issues with motherboard VRM heating is solved by putting a fan on the VRM heatsink to cool it

ZENprime

Reputable
Jul 2, 2015

oh thats why you have something called vcore 1 vcore 2

please use CPUID as it provides better options
Temps on all different cores + temps on package (socket) + Vcore volts monitoring

download it and test again with a screenshot when it reaches high temps

HaizRail007

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2015
there is the photo of the cature do I need to take more.

cpu%20temp_zps7kncjmvw.png.html

ZENprime

Reputable
Jul 2, 2015
Did you use the same cooler on 8150 and it was working good ?
or did you use any custom fan RPM for your cooler ?
You maybe running low fan RPM which is why you are high on temps
or running high vcore volts (in bios) which is maybe why you are on high heat
I mean even the stock water cooler (antec KÜHLER H2O 920) which comes which the 9590/9370 is weaker than your cooler

So it is narrowed down to these :

--- Wrong installing of the thermal paste or the cooler (thermal paste comes pre-applied in the h110 by the way , so If you applied more then there must be excess amount of it on the CPU now).
--- Need higher fan RPM
--- Need lower voltages

Do these :

Take off your cooler , clean the radiator and remove the old thermal paste from the pump , clean the old paste from the processor too .
Reinstall the cooler by putting a pea sized new thermal paste . Then test your CPU with stress test

If that did not work :
Set custom FAN RPM in bios (or the cooler software if available)

If that did not work :
Reduce the voltage Vcore by 0.010v steps in the bios with stress testing until you reach safe temps with fully operational processor .

Solution

HaizRail007

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2015
When I was using the 8150 I was using air cooling I had the zalman CNPS12X
High Performance. when I bought the 9590 I bought the h110 for it because I knew of the 220watt risk. I keep a check on my temps constantly. and this isn't a new build the computer it's self is about 3 years old and the 9590 is about 1 year. and within this time I bought thoses two noturas, which have kept the temps down for a while now. I dust the computer about twice a week with a can of air. I am going to school for information technology and I know I've got the hardware installed correctly. and I did contact asus about the motherboard voltages. and they told me that they are reading right. from what I told them over the phone. I have the voltages set to auto in bios. and I'm not sure which one to turn down because nothing is label v-core. Every time I try to turn down the voltage on the cpu it freezes.I got as far as 0.20v on the cpu voltage before this happened.

HaizRail007

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2015
thank you for your help. With your help I've narrowed down some possibility's. I need to remount the fans on the rad I think they need to be on the top side of the rad instead of the bottom. I wish I could take a photo so you could see how it looks. well I've got 2 nocturas then rad bolted to top of case and then 2 200mm fans. I have a feeling that the 200mm fans arn't sucking air though the rad, just the nocturas pushing air though. the only other option I have for water cooling is mount a push/ pull system on the rear which would be 140mm and I don't know if that would work for this cpu.

ZENprime

Reputable
Jul 2, 2015
radiator fans show blow air from down to up , normally hot air goes up and cold air gets down so any cooler must have the fans to blow air up into the case head "roof" or pull air from inside the case and blow it outside in up position
So you need to put the 2 fans under the radiator in pull from case / push outside of it
Corsair_H110_inst.jpg

Fans should pull air from inside the case to outside of it

I guess it is excess paste maybe or wrong fans installing
worst case is faulty cooler (h110) , only true if problems started right after you installed the new cooler for the first time

HaizRail007

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2015
yes that's how they are installed. but above the rad I've got 2 200mm just wondering if I need to take thoughs out and put two 140mm. My other option is installing a 8350. and yes it started right after the liquid cooling install. wondering if it needs a stronger pump than whats supplied with the h 110

ZENprime

Reputable
Jul 2, 2015
Still probably wrong install or excess paste , remove the cooler and clean the pump base with thermal paste cleaner , clean the old paste on the cpu too with thermal paste cleaner and then update with what happened .
Please put 2 140mm in a 280mm radiator for maximum airflow

HaizRail007

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2015
Update, I Took the day to do endless tests and preform maintenance on this pc. I took the H110 water cooling loop out of the computer and cleaned the rad with a air compressor. After that I added two more 140mm 3000rpm noturas to the rad for a total of 4. Also I cleaned off all thermal compound and applied a pea sized amount of fresh arctic silver and remounted it in the case. Now grant you the 200mm were still in the top not connected this time.and the temps Improved from 40c to 34c on idle which was good. After running prime 95 and getting temps of 55 to 62, I decided to connect the water loops pump up to my fan controller to see the max rpms it was running to see the problem. and I found the problem, the pump is running at 900 rpm at max which is well below what it should be running.

Note: To anyone thinking Of buying a Amd Fx 9590 remember this cpu produces a lot of heat and needs a massive water cooling system to keep temps under control. With any closed loop water cooling system please beware that for some of theses systems the pumps are not interchangeable, nor are the water blocks. I just had to learn my lesion the hard way. I thought buying the h110 was going to save me money, But in the long run I've had to spend more to fix this problem. With this pump going out, I can not just simply add a pump. I will have to add a reservoir, pump and water block to fix this problem. Which will set me back around 300 bucks. I know there are cheaper options but at this point I'm tired of playing with fire.

ZENprime

Reputable
Jul 2, 2015
max safe is 61-65c on core temp / 72c on socket temps

getting 62c on prime 95 after like 15-20 mins is great , notice that no game or application will put such load like prime 95 on your cpu so you will see less than 62c temps on games

In my opinion you should have went with an air cooler NH-D15 or NH-D14 or NH-14US dual fan they are all capable of cooling the 9590
, water cooling has too many issues with the pump and fans , unless you are familiar with water cooling
even the CNPS12X is a high end air cooler you could have tested it first on the 9590 before going to water cooling.

Reactions: HaizRail007