i7 920 getting a little to hot for comfort

creative username

Reputable
Aug 11, 2015
I bought a hyper 212 EVO for my cpu because it was too hot with the stock heat sink. I had it installed by someone else because I am currently busy and I'm relatively new to computers.
idle at stock ghz:40c
idle at 3.2ghz:45c
intel burn test stock ghz:70c
intel burn test 3.2ghz:75c
prime 95 3.2ghz: 70c
I have a gtx 260, 6gb ram, antec 750w psu, and a republic of gamers rampage extreme 2.
These temps seem okay, but it still seems a little hot. it's 75-80f in the room and I've got 3 fans+heatsink. I'm new to pc building so I'm not very fond of the idea of reseating the heatsink.
Are these temps okay or should I try to improve?

Solution
creative username,

Welcome to Tom's!

I've owned an i7 920 and have overclocked several. My nephew is still running my old rig which is happily gaming along at 4.2 GHz.

Those who are not familiar with the i7 920 may not realize that it's a 130 Watt processor, as compared to more recent Generations which range from 77 Watts to 95 Watts.

At 3.2GHz with your ambient temperature and the Hyper 212 EVO, your Core temperatures are fine. However, if your Vcore is in "Auto", then you may want to change your settings to manual. Auto tends to run Vcore significantly higher than is required for stability. Minimizing your Core voltage will minimize your Core temperatures.

Here's the normal operating range for Core temperature:

80C...

creative username

Reputable
Aug 11, 2015

I just want to know if it's worth it to try and get better temperatures.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
creative username,

Welcome to Tom's!

I've owned an i7 920 and have overclocked several. My nephew is still running my old rig which is happily gaming along at 4.2 GHz.

Those who are not familiar with the i7 920 may not realize that it's a 130 Watt processor, as compared to more recent Generations which range from 77 Watts to 95 Watts.

At 3.2GHz with your ambient temperature and the Hyper 212 EVO, your Core temperatures are fine. However, if your Vcore is in "Auto", then you may want to change your settings to manual. Auto tends to run Vcore significantly higher than is required for stability. Minimizing your Core voltage will minimize your Core temperatures.

Here's the normal operating range for Core temperature:

80C Hot (100% Load)
75C Warm
70C Warm (Heavy Load)
60C Norm
50C Norm (Medium Load)
40C Norm
30C Cool (Idle)

You might want to give this Tom's Sticky a read:

Intel Temperature Guide - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1800828/intel-temperature-guide.html

CT :sol:

Solution

creative username

Reputable
Aug 11, 2015

Thank you very much for this information. my vcore is at 1.25 and that's as low as it will allow me to go at 3.2ghz without crashing. I guess i'll leave it alone for now and see what happens in the fall when temperatures get down.