i5 750 I bought 5 years ago, is still as good as new PC now??

smalltech

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
I am using i5 750 and Asus p7p55de motherboard bought 5 years ago, whole system cost about $1500. This is considered mid range when I bought it. May I know if I am going to buy a mid range PC now $1500, is it faster a lot or will there be not much difference compared to my current PC? Thanks

nate714

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
I went from an i7 920 to i5 4670k and noticed a speed difference, so I imagine you'd notice a speed difference coming from i5 750. Biggest thing for me was higher SATA and USB speeds, my old rig didn't have USB3 or sata 6gbs.

bukojoe

Reputable
Apr 9, 2015
The i5 750 retailed for around 200 USD. For that price now, you can buy a 4690K. At stock, the 4690k will perform about twice as fast as the 750 in CPU intensive applications.
For comparison, here is the 750 vs 4670K which is negligibly slower than a 4690k: i5 750 vs i5 4670K.
There is also a 4690K on the list but it has far fewer points of comparison with the 750.

For the other components such as the motherboard and GPU, there will also be a night-and-day difference between their technologies and raw performance. SSD's nowadays are much more affordable than they used to be when the 750 came out. This will give you a very noticeable performance difference compared to traditional hard drives.

The benchmarks might help: http://www.anandtech.com/show/9483/intel-skylake-review-6700k-6600k-ddr4-ddr3-ipc-6th-generation/11

Have you OCd your 750? I have that exact CPU and finally got a sense it was holding me back when I was playing Witcher 3. It's now at 3.9Ghz and that did make a difference.

I'm still happy with my old CPU. From a gaming perspective, I think if you're sitting on a 60hz monitor there won't be much difference, but if you're trying to get to 120/144fps for high refresh rate monitors, then a much stronger case could be made for an upgrade.

As nate says, things like native USB3, PCIe3, support for M.2, NVMe boot drives, those are much bigger draw cards for an upgrade... but only if they are things you actually intend to use often.

You're not gaming - I mean serious games not casual/Windows store type games? Not encoding any videos? Then the CPU starts to matter, but not for too much else.

For all the things you've listed above I doubt you'd even be able to tell the difference if you had the two systems side by side.

Do you have an SSD? If your main use for the computer is the things you list above, an SSD will make the system feel massively more responsive... way more than a CPU upgrade would. You can get a decent 250GB SSD for $80-$100 US.
With an SSD you'd be advised to reinstall your operating system and programs, so there's a time and hassle investment. But your system will "feel" night and day quicker. But if you're happy with what you have there's no massive reason to upgrade.

smalltech

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
I only play fifa sometimes. Seldom encode videos.

Will a 4690K be faster in downloading files and loading webpages than i5 750?

I have a Samsung SSD.

Will 4690K be faster in backup speed? I am using Macrium home backup software.

nate714

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
for your listed uses, the it 750 is great, there is no need to upgrade to anything faster, if anything you might consider getting an SSD if you don't already have one, that would improve file read/write speeds which translates to faster loading, copying, and yes, backing up.

Probably not. Some compression processes are CPU limited, but I suspect you're largely still IO bound.

You're probably on SATA2, so potentially file transfers could increase with native SATA3 SSDs... but seriously, the only time that's an issue is if you're transferring a file between two SSDs in the same computer. As soon as you go to a HDD, USB drive, or over the network, they become the bottleneck not the SSD and SATA2 vs 3 becomes irrelevant.

There are probably occasional edge cases where a new system would improve your performance, but I'd find it completely impossible to make a case for an upgrade for those tasks.

If you've got the upgrade itch, why not buy yourself something else? A nice display? Keyboard, mouse, sound system? Something that you'll actually notice and appreciate.

Google will answer these questions for you quickly bro!

Just remember that while new stuff is (almost) always "better", it only really matters if you can actually use it.

As is normal, computers evolve over time.

Starting tomorrow, Skylake-K CPU's will be available. They will use a new Intel chipset, the Z170, new generation of memory, replacing DDR3 with DDR4. DDR3L (low power) is supported if the motherboard supports it. At least initially, it looks like almost all motherboards will be going DDR4 only. There are a lot of other changes.

Best thing to do is read about the 2 CPU's that go on sale tomorrow.... The Intel 6th Gen Skylake Review: Core i7-6700K and i5-6600K Tested from Anandtech.com or Skylake: Intel's Core i7-6700K And i5-6600K right here on Tomshardware.com