Windows 8.1 100% Disk Usage (HELP NEEDED)

Hello all,

Recently I've been having a problem with my disk usage on my Windows 8.1 laptop. Whenever i launch a program, my disk usage spikes up to either 99% or 100%, and the culprits are almost always what shows as "System" and "Service Host" in task manager. This has happened to me before but it always seemed to stop taking up so much disk usage after a quick restart. I can barely manage to run TeamSpeak which is what i use to talk to friends, and if i want to play games? Forget about it, i can't run Steam without it taking up 100% of my disk usage within seconds and crashing. I've tried almost every possible solution there is that's seemed to work for people having this same issue. I've run several chkdsk repairs through command prompt, changed my paging file to the correct amount of RAM and have tried completely turning it off just to see a difference, I've installed all the latest Windows updates and drivers to my computer, and still have not seen any difference whatsoever in my computers incredibly high disk usage.

I have an ASUS ROG 18.1" laptop, running an Intel core i7-4700HQ @ 2.49 GHz, 8 gb of RAM, a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 765M video card, on a 64 bit Windows 8.1 OS.

Any possible solutions or help with my troubles would be greatly appreciated, because i not only play games on this computer, but use it for work and school, and desperately need help fixing it ASAP. Thanks for all help.

EDIT: I have also recently disabled BITS, which also had no effect on my disk usage/pc performance whatsoever.
12 answers Last reply
More about windows 100 disk usage needed
  1. usually a malware thing.

    try adw cleaner and let me know what happens.

    Open it, select scan, when the scan is complete select cleaning. It will force you to restart the machine when you complete the prompts.

    https://toolslib.net/downloads/viewdownload/1-adwcleaner/
  2. N3rdR4ge said:
    usually a malware thing.

    try adw cleaner and let me know what happens.

    Open it, select scan, when the scan is complete select cleaning. It will force you to restart the machine when you complete the prompts.

    https://toolslib.net/downloads/viewdownload/1-adwcleaner/


    I've done what you suggested but all that came of it was me the disk usage hitting 100% a little bit slower than usual. Still spikes up to 99% and 100% constantly when opening programs and when not.
  3. hmm try deleting everything in your temp folder and restart the machine

    in the win 8 search type %temp% and press enter. delete everything possible. some items may not delete.
  4. N3rdR4ge said:
    hmm try deleting everything in your temp folder and restart the machine

    in the win 8 search type %temp% and press enter. delete everything possible. some items may not delete.


    Still no avail... Really wish this was simpler to fix
  5. try kaspersky rescue disk here:
    http://support.kaspersky.com/4162

    its a free, bootable, in depth malware/virus removal. adw just gets rid of stubborn stuff.
  6. N3rdR4ge said:
    try kaspersky rescue disk here:
    http://support.kaspersky.com/4162

    its a free, bootable, in depth malware/virus removal. adw just gets rid of stubborn stuff.


    Is there anyway to run this without a CD or USB on hand?
  7. not that i know of. its worth going out and getting a usb.
  8. N3rdR4ge said:
    not that i know of. its worth going out and getting a usb.


    Alright, i can go out and grab one tomorrow. Thanks for all the help today and your future help (IE tomorrow) would be very much appreciated.
  9. sounds good. let me know.
  10. N3rdR4ge said:
    sounds good. let me know.


    According to Kaspersky rescue disk my computer is clean.. I really don't know of anything else that could be causing this issue, do you?
  11. ok, next step.

    download wd data lifeguard diagnostic and run a full scan of your drive to rule out a failing hard drive. this may take a long time so let it finish.

    http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=612&sid=3
  12. Hi Flokii - I am having the same problem. Did you get your issue fixed? Was it the harddrive?
Ask a new question

Read More

Laptops Windows 8