r9 290 tri-x / sapphire r9 290x or gigabyte hd 7990

AdriaanC

Reputable
Aug 20, 2015
Wich one would you get?
I can get them for about the same price .
Really can't choose between these cards.
Anyone got any experience with them?

Solution
Single-core performance-wise, the Intel i7-2600K has a considerable advantage over the AMD FX 8350 (Black edition). I'm assuming it's the 2600K because you bought an FX edition for the AMD which allows for overclocking. Multi-core performance-wise, the two CPUs are practically neck-and-neck. Overclocking performance-wise, the AMD FX 8350 gives the Intel i7-2600k a dirty whoopin'.

After exhaustively looking through benchmarks and hardware specs, I've come to recommend the Sapphire R9 290x. Here's why:

(1) The Sapphire R9 290x is easily half of the price of the Gigabyte HD 7990.

(2) The TDP of the Sapphire R9 290x is about 25% less than the Gigabyte HD 7990.

(3) The amount of dedicated graphics RAM is obscene, regardless of the three...

itmoba

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015
I have no personal experience with either of them, though I have helped others with similar cards (i.e., OEM redistribution differences). I can give you a better answer if you provide more details about your computer, including the motherboard, CPU, RAM (speed, size, type), and the monitor which you intend to use. Also, do you have a budget? Are these the only cards you're willing to consider; or, are you available to more options?

[update]

EDIT: I neglected to ask if this computer is for work or play; also, if it's for work, does it concern 3d-modeling or intense 2d-layering and compositing (e.g., heavy use of Adobe Photoshop)?

AdriaanC

Reputable
Aug 20, 2015

I'm building this computer for my brother as a gaming pc.
He has a 1080p screen and wants to run fairy demanding games on the highest possible settings.
The other components are :
fx 8350 or i7 2600 (have those 2 laying around) with cooler.
8gigs ram
1080p ips gaming monitor
250gb ssd.
Motherboard: Has to be decided yet .
I myself only use quadro cards because i do a lot rendering andintese server side applications.

itmoba

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015
Single-core performance-wise, the Intel i7-2600K has a considerable advantage over the AMD FX 8350 (Black edition). I'm assuming it's the 2600K because you bought an FX edition for the AMD which allows for overclocking. Multi-core performance-wise, the two CPUs are practically neck-and-neck. Overclocking performance-wise, the AMD FX 8350 gives the Intel i7-2600k a dirty whoopin'.

After exhaustively looking through benchmarks and hardware specs, I've come to recommend the Sapphire R9 290x. Here's why:

(1) The Sapphire R9 290x is easily half of the price of the Gigabyte HD 7990.

(2) The TDP of the Sapphire R9 290x is about 25% less than the Gigabyte HD 7990.

(3) The amount of dedicated graphics RAM is obscene, regardless of the three models you spoke about in the OP. Whilst the Gigabyte HD 7990 has 6 GB and the Sapphire R9 290x has a "measly" 4 GB, I don't know of any games out there that push a footprint so demanding. In a professional setting where ECC-buffered memory is important, it's another story. There, 12 GB can go bye-bye in little to no time, and when you set them up as a farm (which is often the case) you're left to twiddle your thumbs whilst detailed rendering operations are being performed -- also a good excuse to go out to the pub and have your boss pay for a few frosty mugs of beer (assuming you can drink -- always drink responsibly!), though that's another story entirely.

(4) The Sapphire R9 290x is a bit more quiet than the Gigabyte HD 7990.

(5) The Gigabyte HD 7990 takes up nearly 17% more space by volume than the Sapphire R9 290x.

(6) In performance, the results were mixed. Some claimed that Gigabyte HD 7990 was the winner, other times the claim was that the Sapphire R9 290x was the victor. Honestly, both are good, but budget-wise, the Sapphire R9 290x gives the Gigabyte HD 7990 a run for the money.

Solution