i5 4690 With Stock Cooler @ 95 Degrees Celsius on Prime95

ArticFox

Reputable
Mar 11, 2014
Hello there! I've recently built my first ever computer using an Intel Core i5 4690 with the stock cooler (Full PC specs: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/XfBPxr) . I downloaded the more recent version of Prime95 (v28.5) at the time to stress test my CPU temps under full load. To monitor my CPU temps, I used MSI afterburner (I don't know how accurate it is, if it isn't then please feel free to suggest some other programs). After 5-10 minutes of the stress test, I noticed my CPU cores reaching high temperatures of 95 degrees. I've read on the Intel website that the maximum temp should be around 72 degrees. However, I decided to open up some games to see whether or not the CPU would reach those temperatures. I went on Counter Strike GO which ran at about 150-200 fps and the CPU temps maxed out at 60 degrees.

So is this a real concern for my CPU? Should I remount my CPU fan or replace it with an aftermarket cooler? Thanks.

Solution
Guys,

Here's the normal operating range for Core temperature:

80C Hot (100% Load)
75C Warm
70C Warm (Heavy Load)
60C Norm
50C Norm (Medium Load)
40C Norm
30C Cool (Idle)

Core temperatures in the mid 70's are safe.

Midguards,

The issue with Prime95 is strictly version specific.

ArticFox,

Do NOT run any versions of Prime95 later than 26.6. Here's why:

Core i 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th Generation CPU's have AVX (Advanced Vector Extension) instruction sets. Recent versions of Prime95, such as 28.5, run AVX code on the Floating Point Unit (FPU) math coprocessor, which produces...

Midguards

Reputable
Aug 17, 2015
Prime 95 places your CPU under unrealistic loads. Unless you really achieve 100% on a regular basis don't worry about it. Plus you are running a stock cooler, you WILL notice high temps using a stress testing program, and should really not be attempted.

But no, there is no concern over the CPU all's good, as long as you keep it under the 70's

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Guys,

Here's the normal operating range for Core temperature:

80C Hot (100% Load)
75C Warm
70C Warm (Heavy Load)
60C Norm
50C Norm (Medium Load)
40C Norm
30C Cool (Idle)

Core temperatures in the mid 70's are safe.

Midguards,

The issue with Prime95 is strictly version specific.

ArticFox,

Do NOT run any versions of Prime95 later than 26.6. Here's why:

Core i 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th Generation CPU's have AVX (Advanced Vector Extension) instruction sets. Recent versions of Prime95, such as 28.5, run AVX code on the Floating Point Unit (FPU) math coprocessor, which produces unrealistically high temperatures. The FPU test in the utility AIDA64 shows similar results.

Prime95 v26.6 produces temperatures on 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th Generation processors more consistent with 2nd Generation, which also have AVX instructions, but do not suffer from thermal extremes due to having a soldered Integrated Heat Spreader and a significantly larger Die.

Please download Prime95 version 26.6 - http://windows-downloads-center.blogspot.com/2011/04/prime95-266.html

Run only Small FFT’s for 10 minutes.

Use Real Temp to measure your Core temperatures, as it was developed specifically for Intel processors: Real Temp - http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2089/real-temp-3-70/

Your Core temperatures will test 10 to 20C lower with v26.6 than with v28.5.

Tcase is CPU temperature, NOT Core temperature.

Core temperature is 5C higher than CPU temperature. Here's why:

Tcase is measured on the surface of the Integrated Heat Spreader (IHS), which is not in close proximity to the heat sources. Core temperature is measured at the transistor junctions directly on the hot spots inside the Cores, which are the heat sources.

Most of the heat dissipates from the Cores inside the Die through the internal layer of Thermal Interface Material (TIM) to the IHS. Heat then dissipates through the external layer of TIM to the cooler. Some heat also dissipates from the Die to the substrate, package, socket and motherboard.

At 100% workload this causes a 5C thermal gradient from the transistor junctions where Core temperatures are measured, to the surface of the IHS where CPU temperature (Tcase) is measured. A good analogy is that it gets hotter as you get closer to the flame.

Although Tcase for the i5 4690 is 72C, you always need to add 5C to any Tcase specification to get the corresponding Core temperature. Tcase + 5 makes the Core temperature 77C.

The relationship between Core temperature and CPU temperature is not in the Thermal Specifications; it's only found in a few engineering documents. In order to get a clear perspective of processor temperatures, it's important to understand the terminology and specifications.

Please read this Tom’s Sticky: Intel Temperature Guide - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1800828/intel-temperature-guide.html

Thanks,

CT :sol:

Solution
Given the stress temps were quite high but using the new version of p95 rather than the more appropriate older v26.6, coupled with the stock cooler and its' fairly low cooling capabilities (compared to decent aftermarket coolers) I'd say it's probably fine. The temps with everything taken into consideration were quite high but also unrealistic and should probably be disregarded. Not because they're aren't high temps but because of the improper thermal testing conditions. The actual gaming loads were well within the norms at around 60c so I don't see any need for an aftermarket cooler in this case.

If concerned about temps, you can download a small program like realtemp and let it run while doing various tasks, whether browsing or gaming. It will record the max core temps for review and keep an eye on it. If during the majority of gaming it's staying around 60c or the low 60's I think it'd be a better indicator of real use temps. Typically stress testing for thermals is done for overclocked machines to make sure the overclock isn't set too high and may require a bit of extra monitoring because of running the system outside of normal/stock conditions. Under normal usage the stock cooler should be sufficient. It would've been a different scenario of reaching mid 70's or 80-90c while just gaming on the stock cooler, then I'd be concerned.