NZXT Kraken X31 vs. Enermax ETS-T40-W

tinnyx

Reputable
Jun 2, 2015
Hello everybody!

I'm building a new i7-6700K-based build for myself and I'm having a really hard time choosing between these two CPU coolers: NZXT Kraken X31 vs. Enermax ETS-T40-W

Performance-wise, they should be pretty similar with X31 being slightly better. There are a few more factors that I'm considering though, mainly that I want the build to look as good as possible. It's going to be black and white themed (every component is only black and white) with custom-sleeved white cables. For the case I'm going with Fractal Define S Windowed, so there should be plenty of space for either of those coolers. It's not a budget build, but I want to spend as little money as I can. I'm not going to choose worse component to save 10€, but I'm not gonna choose something twice as expensive only because of brand or something.

My question is, which cooler should I choose?

Enermax:
pros: cheaper (half the price of Kraken), safer? (never worked with water cooling)
cons: big (obstructs view), noisier? (not really sure)

Kraken:
pros: small (doesn't obstruct view), quieter?, cool (both literally and in terms of "water cooling is interesting")
cons: more expensive (almost two times more than Enermax), less safe (water cooling is kind of scary)

I'm not choosing only between these two, but my choice is limited only to Alzashop.com and to let's say 80€ (with Kraken being 79.something), but the less the better.

TL;DR: I'm looking for a CPU cooler for i7-6700K (going for at least 4.5Ghz), I want it to both look good (white and black theme) and perform good, case is Fractal Define S so space shouldn't be an issue, selection only limited to Alzashop.com, it's not a budget build but the less it costs the better.

Thanks!

mudpuppet

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
I don't think you have anything to have to worry about while using a closed loop cooler like the Kraken. Personally, I have a Kraken x61 and have been using it for the last 4-5 months. As far as theme goes, the Kraken has a programmable LED (something to keep in mind) and has some neat CAM software fro controlling the color/temps/etc of the cooler. On top of that, as you mentioned, it's pretty quiet. There may be a very slight hum to the pump, but when the case is closed up you probably can't even notice it (I can't in mine).

I would say take a look on PC partpicker at some similar builds and decide which fits your build best style. I haven't used Enermax and can't say anything about them, but the Kraken has been a good fit for me and I enjoy it.